Power steering issue?

Black03SS_NJ

This has been bugging me for a few months and I am finally taking the time to post. I think my SS may have a power steering (or maybe AWD) problem and I was wondering if I am nuts, or if something is really wrong.

It seems like at low speeds, especially right after I start the truck, I have no power steering. For example, I have to parallel park on the street at work everyday. In the evening, I start the truck up, back up and start to turn the wheel left to pull out. It acts like there is no power steering, and it takes all of my strength to start to get the wheel turned. Then it feels like the power steering finally kicks in. I have noticed this in a few other low speed manuvers as well, like backing out of a parking spot. Anyone else having similar issues? Any idea what the problem could be?

I have had a few occasions where the power steering felt less helpful when parking, but then it would come on. Also, I have had my engine die a few times when making a tight turn while parking. I have chalked both of these to idle being a bit too low. I have been meaning to try upping the idle speed a tad.

I'm having some steering problems as well. I've noticed that when I get off the highway and back into my driveway it feels as if my front tires are against a curb, taking quite a bit of effort to turn. Taking mine in next week.

Seven :chevy:

I've had the same problem with my truck, it's only happend a couple times but it was enough to notice. Again, it was in a parking lot and it only shut off for about a second or two, I hope this is as bad as it gets.... Maybe the new PCM I am installing this afternoon will fix the problem :D . PCM = Cure-All

I've had the same thing. Every time I've caught a glimpse of the tach, it appears that it is the result of a RPM drop. Adding things like a cam, blower, and stall, have made it happen. Never had it before.

I have had all the above problems (power steering and Idle issue). Luckily on mine they are easy fix's. Power Steering fix for mine was it needed more power steering fluid. Idle fix is to clean the throttle body. I think both have been mentioned as common issues on multiple websites. Their is even a relationship between the two.

With the dirty throttle body, the butterfly valve is unable to shut completley resulting in inconsistent signals from the MAF and the electronic throttle. This causes rough running and surging at idle (idle floats back and forth around 500-600rpms), occasionally at stop lights and in the driveway it will die. If you are turning while at idle, the added load from the power steering pump is enough to cause the engine to die (before the engine electronics can adjust the idle to keep it running). This happend all the time to me, until I cleaned the throttle body.

Try it out, the dealerships will not have a clue about your truck needing a throttle body cleaning.

• 1 month later...

Archived