Lightning Question

jballer323

buddy of mine has one. loves it, except for the fact that the motor only drinks the good stuff and he has no back seat, or very much foul weather capability.

his interior is leather with suede inserts.

i like it... it rides like a sports car and it'll pull a house, but i've got a sh!t-ton more room in the back seat of my crew cab 1500 HD (cuz i've actually got one)...

...but for just about exactly the same mileage (12.5 city, 16 highway), i'll keep my 4x4 '07 1500 HD crew cab and my lower insurance premuim.

My buddy owns a lightning, and I remember him bitching about how the seats wear...and I said thats what suede does, but he corrected me and said it was an imitation of suede thats called "Alcantra" which acts, looks, and feels like suede. If you're looking to buy a lightning with 20k+ miles, expect to have significant seat wear on the side bolsters. Sorry for the long post, haha :cheers:

it's not real suede. it's called "alcantra" and mine wore great. although, mine only had about 25k miles when i sold it. i'll also sat the stain resistance was very good. the day i drove her home i spilled about 8 oz of cherry coke on the seat (needless to say i was freaking out). dabbed it up with a few napkins and we were good to go.

Do the '99-'04 lightning's have cloth or suede seats?

As the others have stated, they are leather inserts with man made suede on the sides. I have just over 30,000 miles on mine and no wear at all. If I were you, I'd try to get a 2003-2004 Lightning, as they had the final upgrades and, the eight thread spark plug heads. The older Lightnings were prone to spitting out spark plugs before they changed the heads. The 1999-2000 Lightnings came with 360 hp and 440 ft lbs of torque, compared to the 2001-2004 380 hp and 450 ft lbs of torque. The 1999-2000 also came with 355 rear end gears while the 2001-2004 came with 373 gears which helped shave a third of a second of the 0-60 times. The newer trucks came with Bilstein shocks, an upgraded inter-cooler, a larger 90mm mass-air sensor, and the 03'-04's got an in dash six CD changer, keypad door entry and other upgrades that the earlier trucks didn't have. All in all get a 2003-2004 Lighting if you can swing it, as they are the ones to get. PM me if you have any questions about them and I'll try to answer them without taking up space here.