Factory Workers?

smoke03

I worked at a small welding and fabricating shop my first two summers during college. Then the next two summers I spent working for Bobcat working on mini-excavators. This was all great motivation to finish school. :cheers: Now I work as a service engineer for Cummins Inc.

35 years at various GE divisions in Schenectady & Waterford NY. Started out as a laborer in the foundry, did some chip & grinding on turbine castings, overhead crane operator, rigger, milling machine operator in Gas Turbine...got layed off...

Ended up at GE Silicones in Waterford as a control operator. Been here 25 years. Hopefully, will be retired in 3 more years. Oh yea... worked at a paper mill and on the railroad for short time too.

Nearly 12 yrs at a chemical plant (Renewable Energy Corporation) or REC. We make Silane gas and the raw material for solar panels. Started at an entry level job when I was 21, became an operator, then Operations Lead. Earlier this year was promoted to Superintendent.

I guess my current job would qualify as "factory" though we refer to it as a production facility.

I'm working for Avery Dennison (ranked 412 on the Fortune 500) as part of the FRNA (fasson roll north america) division.

Our facility is all finishing... we slit bulk pressure sensitive materials into finished rolls for customers... I promise you have at least 1 product I've touched in your home and your office right now... if not hundreds.

We provide the material for all of Budweisers bottle labels, most wine labels, postage stamps, tire labels, lumber labels, yadda yadda yadda...

After the first of the year I'll be moving into my new position as part of the OPNA management team (office products north america) working out of the west coast distribution center. It was cool to get this job b/c I basically started as a finishing tech a year ago... I wanted to learn this company from the bottom up b/c this will probably be the place I spend the remainder of my working years. Its such a huge company with so many divisions and holdings that the possibilities are damn near endless.

To make all this boring talk interesting I'll include a vid... this is a 2.6mil plastic based material... its 78" wide in bulk, roughly 15k liner feet, about 10k lbs and we were slitting it down to 6.5" rolls on the front... the plastic has a high energy content so it starts to generate a lot of static at speed... this was rolling at about 2000 feet per minute

th_002.jpg

this stuff will shock the hell out of ya if you touch it before discharging.

Edited by Dylan06SS (see edit history)

this stuff will shock the hell out of ya if you touch it before discharging.

I know what you mean, as the plastic comes down the extrusion line, it has so much static charge in it, and the line is grounded at several locations to take the charge out of it, but you still get shocked from time to time... and trust me, there is one part of your body that hurts like a mother ****** when shocked, which I'm sure y'all can guess what part that is....

I've been in factory work for 16 yrs. Started out in Indy at Logo Atheletic Apparel putting sport logos on shirts and coats for 6 yrs. I have now been making plastic bottles for 10 yrs at Silgan Plastics, which makes bottles for Kingsford lighter fluid,Roundup bottles, Huggies shampoo and baby product bottles, assorted health and beauty aid bottles and so forth. I started out packing the bottles now I am an operator that works on the blowmolding machines that make the bottles. Sounds easy but you wouldn't believe the process in making a freaking plastic bottle that someone is just going to throw in the trash when it is empty. But it pays me good money.

I worked at a small welding and fabricating shop my first two summers during college. Then the next two summers I spent working for Bobcat working on mini-excavators. This was all great motivation to finish school. :cheers: Now I work as a service engineer for Cummins Inc.

Not too far down the road from you.

Our plant machines and assembles Toyota forklift transmissions and Lexus/Toyota Steering columns. I don't work on the floor, I am in charge of Safety/Environmental.

Been looking into Cummins...hopefully will land something there.