Needing More "go" Out Of The Vmax

bubbreeding

My 06 z71 is due to be traded in soon so I've really been eyeing an 08' crewcab z71 vmax. Here is my problem... my father-in-law just bought a new double cab tundra. He's been really giving me a hard time about looking at those "slow" vmaxes.

What would it take to make a vmax shove some humble pie in a tundra's face? :D I'm a loyal GM buyer (every 2 yrs) and would like to stay that way, but I can't be out done by the father-in-law.

oh, speculation is accepted BUT first hand experience is prefered.

THANKS!

I had a go at my freinds CCSB tundra from a roling go in first and I got him buy a truck!! I think the gm900 platform trucks are a little heavier then the classic vmax's so I bet after some light modding you would get him every time!!!

I should not have any problem picking up some exhaust, intake, and tune with the cash I'd save going with a vmax. Those tundras seem to be way over priced.

Have any of you guys delt with the Edge Evo tuner? I know they make great products for the diesel world. Is a custom tune that much better? Mine would have to be a mail order since there are no dyno tuners here in central arkansas that i know of.

I'm really appreciating the help!

I should not have any problem picking up some exhaust, intake, and tune with the cash I'd save going with a vmax. Those tundras seem to be way over priced.

Have any of you guys delt with the Edge Evo tuner? I know they make great products for the diesel world. Is a custom tune that much better? Mine would have to be a mail order since there are no dyno tuners here in central arkansas that i know of.

I'm really appreciating the help!

Yes you cant beat a dyno tune but if thats not an option then a custom mail order tune hands down.

I love my Westers, yes its more expensive than alot of others but Lyndon has been tuning GM's forever. He has done fleet vehicles for GM and also has done the Presidential Motorcade. He does not tune as aggressivly as others but your truck will last longer because its not tuned to the very edge of explosion. To me its worth the extra money for peace of mind.

BTW, There are other great tuners out there as well as ones you might want to avoid, the choice is yours.

From my reading here is what I have concluded:

Custom Tune Pros:

- best possible overall perfomance hp/tq/"seat of the pants"

Custom Tune Cons:

- in most cases limited to one tune ie: performance or econo unless you wanted to ship it off for changes

- not as simple to put back stock for service

Edge Evolution Pros:

- change tunes on the fly (would be nice since i'd use econo 80% of the time but would want a little extra when needed)

- nifty digital guage panel

- easy to put back to stock

- resalable

Edge Evolution Cons:

- lesser of the two in regards to overall performance

- doesn't appear to be as commonly used

I guess ideally one would put these two to a test on a dyno to see just how much better a custom tune is.

for those who are unfamiliar with my delima, I pulled these numbers from Car and Driver's test sheets. They did a full comparision of the 2007 full size trucks. fyi: silverado ranked #1 and tundra #3 overall.

crew cab ltz vmax:

1/4 = 15.8 @ 89mph

0-60 in 7.4sec

Tundra:

1/4 = 14.9 @ 94mph

0-60 in 6.1sec

looks like i'd need to shave a full second of my quarter to run with a tundra. Oh, and guys don't think i'm trying to knock the vmax... i'm just trying to avoid getting "ragged" by my father-in-law.

for those who are unfamiliar with my delima, I pulled these numbers from Car and Driver's test sheets. They did a full comparision of the 2007 full size trucks. fyi: silverado ranked #1 and tundra #3 overall.

crew cab ltz vmax:

1/4 = 15.8 @ 89mph

0-60 in 7.4sec

Tundra:

1/4 = 14.9 @ 94mph

0-60 in 6.1sec

looks like i'd need to shave a full second of my quarter to run with a tundra. Oh, and guys don't think i'm trying to knock the vmax... i'm just trying to avoid getting "ragged" by my father-in-law.

Those e.t for the vmax are too high. that doesnt sound right!

Screw the childs play with a tune, headers, and etc. Get to the point guys. What is the "budget" we have to work with? Let's get serious. Go to magnacharger and get a bolt on supercharger system. Add 120whp. That will wake him up. If the vmax is truly almost a full second behind the tundra, a tune, exhaust, cai, WILL NOT shave a full second off to catch it. You will get the tune with the system, you dont have to have headers and cai to make it work either. You might be looking at $5k, but you wont regret it. Otherwise, if you cant swing that, its time for bottle of giggle gas. run a 100shot with all the N2O trimmings with window switch etc. A good setup will run you about a $1,000 and you can still swing for an exhaust to compliment it.

I bought a torque converter, headers, exhaust, CAI, and a tune and only dropped a half second in the quarter. I caved in a bought the blower and whoop alot of a$$ on the street. I have yet to run it at the strip.

A tune will really wake up a NBS V-Max because it will take off the 4 second delay. On the SS the tune helps it but not as much as a NBS because the NBS V-Max have way more torque management than the SS. The stock tune on NBS sucks, it robs a lot of power. Also tundras don't have torque management so that's why there faster stock than a NBS V-Max.

I agree with you nxtnlne but that is what they recorded. As far as budget goes, i'm guessing between $1000-$1500. That is what I normally put into a new truck to make it my own. Of course, some of that normally goes for tint, leveling kit, and better tires, ect. I'm thinking of skewing that a little more to performance this time around. Though it would be nice, I don't think any forced induction is possible. I'm a little leary of N20... never went down that road.

I was hoping to get there with exhaust, intake, and tune... not looking good it seems.

Then again, with gas prices going through the roof I might need to look into getting a 4wd prius!

Edited by bubbreeding (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

My dad recently bought a double cab tundra w/ the i force and TRD dual exhaust only after riding in my truck, just to try and beat me... W/ just corsa sport, custom tune by zippy, intake and some nicer spark plugs I had the jump, he started pulling me in but once i started hitting around 3500 in first, started to lose him again, had his front bumper at my rear at 100. The second race he said he wanted to try something different (letting the tranny shift it instead of manually) THis race was much closer and I eventually braked and ducked behind him instead of cresting a hill doing 100.... country road or not!! So its a very close race, alot to do w/ the driver in my experience... needless to say, we'll be continuing this family fued at bandimere this summer