I Am Building A 408 For My Truck

Simon

After doing some reading about the 408 I decided to go that route. The truck is my DD so I need it to be quiet and fast. I will stay N/A for now but MAYBE go with a bit of N2O later on. I'd like to see some low 13's, high 12's. I've decided to go with the Eagle kit, new heads, new rockers, new lifters, new pushrods, same cam, same stall.

I'm kinda new to this engine building thing but here is what I thought:

Eagle kit 4.030 bore stroke 4.000" -2cc flat top pistons.

Patriot Stage III heads 2019 Assy 2.08"/1.60"/72cc for a CR of 10.6

Injectors don't know the size

in line fuel pump

bigger oil pump

double roller timing chain

I'm very open to suggestions especially about heads or anything.

Thanks.

Edited by Simon (see edit history)

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

heads look fine, your cam will be too small. you will need 42 or greater. i ran svo 42s with are 49#ers. yousr stock oil pump is fine. a 6.0 pump is same as ls6 pump. you will want to look into Fast 90 intake. anything less will choke your motor. a 3k stall is worthless especially a truck one.

IMO i think your cam and converter will be ok since this is a DD and not a pure race engine. i can't speak on the heads, i know no experience there. quik is right on the oil pump, stay with stock or get a ported one, or port one yourself.

IMO i think your cam and converter will be ok since this is a DD and not a pure race engine. i can't speak on the heads, i know no experience there. quik is right on the oil pump, stay with stock or get a ported one, or port one yourself.

im speaking from experience my cam was easily capable of DD. that cam will be like a stock cam in stock motor. the displacement will eat it up!!! I could of went larger on the cam when i was NA. 3k is for stock motors IMHO

im speaking from experience my cam was easily capable of DD. that cam will be like a stock cam in stock motor. the displacement will eat it up!!! I could of went larger on the cam when i was NA. 3k is for stock motors IMHO

i don't argue that because everyone has different opinions of what is DD and what is not. I drove your truck with the cam and stall. yes it was very DD but not exactly ideal either. i'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.

i don't argue that because everyone has different opinions of what is DD and what is not. I drove your truck with the cam and stall. yes it was very DD but not exactly ideal either. i'm giving him the benefit of the doubt.

you drove the 6 litre 408 was a different animal

Nice, 7 replies in couple hours...keep them coming.

Are you saying I should lower my stall or have a bigger one?

i say 3500 stall would work well for DD and racing. a cam in the 230s for a DD, fast 90/90, 11.1 compression is better, heads work well. just remember 408s need to exhale. so try and get 1 7/8 headers to work for you. been proven that 1 3/4 heads then ppl swap to 1 7/8 have seen a gain of 30rwhp.

I wouldn't want a DD with a cam in the 230's and a 3500 stall but that is just me. :chevy: Maybe with a RCSB 2wd, but keep in mind this guy is a heavy AWD ECSB with a heavy stereo to boot. I would want all of the available TQ down low to get the pig rolling. I don't think he wants a set-up that requires a 7,000 RPM shift point hence cam selection / stall is on a critical path. For a Saturday night special with occasional driving, sure I can handle it, but get stuck in traffic or have to haul / tow something and your are at the threshold of hell. Simon is doing his homework up front which will give him what he wants.

Simon, you have very realistic goals and look to be on the right track. Will you be building this 408 or a shop? I have been doing my homework on a new set-up as well :cheers:

Simon, do you tow anything? If so, you do not want that 3500 stall. I have a TT2600 behind my radix and I hate the heat it creates and the extra throttle I have to give to get my rig and boat moving. It is quite annoying sometimes. If you dont tow, then you might ok, but let me tell you from personal experience with different cars that 3500+ stalls are not fun to drive in traffic and get almost as annoying as a manual in traffic.

Do a search on BenKey for his 408 setup and see what he had as his was successful. Also, was it dounome? That blew his motor with a vortech supercharger then did a 408 NA? Search him and see what kind of cam and stall he had as well. If I recall correctly, he nailed a 12.7 his first time out. If you see his setup and his results are your goal, then I would duplicate it to the best of your ability. If you want more, do more. You're not after 11's here right? Build a solid motor that you are comfortable with driving that gets you the results you want. Also search LS1tech.com for that cam info article. It will tell you right in there just as stated above, everyone has their own vision of what DD is and what it is not. Do you know anyone with a truck and a bigger cam/stall you can go for a ride in? Hell, even a high stalled F-body and radical cam will give you an idea of what the beast will be like somewhat.

Krambo, it is a shop that will build the engine but I want to keep control over the parts that will be in there because so little people know that much about the SSS. Just to give an idea, I find my truck a bit unideal for DD BUT I don't really have a choice since I practically have some engine damage. I just find it money wise to go 408 since I have to do all this anyway. The stall is going to stay in there until the new tranny failure that is for sure, a new cam isn't out of the question but I have so many thing that broke that I have to be careful not to blow "the budget" . BTW Eagle pruducts has a nice application page for their kits : Eagle Rotating Assemblies

To go for a 11:1 ratio would only require to have 68CC LS6 "Style" heads from Patriot

2035 Assy. 2.08"/1.60"/68cc

I thought that the 408 had more torque on the bottom end than the 6.0 is that right?

Still wondering why i'd have to go higher on the stall. It just gets on my nerves sometimes...

Edited by Simon (see edit history)

Just to help you out a little, here is a GREAT discussion on BenKey's 408 cam selection and what he was up against. He ran a 2600stall.

http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/index.ph...c=12295&hl=

Here is one of dounome's threads about his 408 as well...his cam specs are in the thread. You can learn alot from both of these experiences as well. Both ran slightly larger cams than what you have, but went the same or less stall than what you have. It looks like maybe a new cam might be in order for you, but not a stall.

http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/index.ph...c=29899&hl=

I wouldn't want a DD with a cam in the 230's and a 3500 stall but that is just me. :chevy: Maybe with a RCSB 2wd, but keep in mind this guy is a heavy AWD ECSB with a heavy stereo to boot. I would want all of the available TQ down low to get the pig rolling. I don't think he wants a set-up that requires a 7,000 RPM shift point hence cam selection / stall is on a critical path. For a Saturday night special with occasional driving, sure I can handle it, but get stuck in traffic or have to haul / tow something and your are at the threshold of hell. Simon is doing his homework up front which will give him what he wants.

Simon, you have very realistic goals and look to be on the right track. Will you be building this 408 or a shop? I have been doing my homework on a new set-up as well :cheers:

dont you agree that a 408 will eat up a 230s cam? that isnt a large cam to begin with for a 6L. im aware of the it being a ECSB thats why i suggested what i did. 3500 isnt bad at all. 3k doestn even feel like a stall. if it was race setup i would look for more aggressive. also you can have a low 6 shiftpoint with a 230s cam