I Am Building A 408 For My Truck

Simon

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no problem idling or driving in traffic with my Yank 3000. Actually, you gotta run about 100 miles before everything gets in place but after that I just let go the brake and start moving forward. It depends how bad the traffic is...hell if my yank stalls at 3400 behind the 408 it's even better (plenty for me). It's also good to know that a low CR 408 feels faster than a supercharged 364!

I will know around jan 7 if i'll be ok with the 0.030 bore and start picking parts from there. It's kinda hard to build a motor between Christmas and New Year's but gives me time to think about the setup which is nice. I didn't know that I could go that high with the compression ratio 12.2:1 that's alot!

Quik, how was your gas mileage with you 244/248 combo and 11.1 cr? I was also considering a set of Dart heads.

i didnt have time to actually get that combo setup for MPG. if its anything my old 6.0 that was 11.1 with a 230s cam, 3800 stall and 410s with my 20s on would average 18mpg with AC on when cruising. in the city i was seeing 13 with stop and go

the 408 was still in break in period and i never got a chance to tune for WOT and gas mileage. I was able to get that mileage out of my 6Litre by running it in the 16:1 range for A/F when crusing

I'm leaning towards some Dart Pro 1 225cc with 62cc chambers. I should be around 11.7 cr

A cam grind of 232/236 595/602 114

1.75:1 Pro-Magnum Rocker Arm Kit with 5/16" Flat guide plates

Pro Magnum Hydraulic Roller Lifters

Hi-Tech™ Pushrods 7.4" x 5/16"

Spoke to Dart today, great sevice. They told me their head is good for .625 lift and would be a great choice for the 408 (0.030). I'm just not sure I want to leave a sinble Beehive spring on. What do you guys think?

I can understand your issue with the single spring, just keep in mind that even the factory LS6's were single spring with quite a bit of factory lift. Frank used those heads for quite a few miles and had no issue's as well as alot of high rpm usage. We even hit 7k plus with it a few times messing around. That cam should idle just fine at around 650 or so in park and 725 in gear. Your shift points will probably be around 6500 or so with that cam and head selection. I've helped tune a few 408's in SSS's with cams around that size. Having that 3000 stall is going to be very important with that much cam. The truck should launch with all 4 spinning on the street.

• 2 weeks later...

Final maths done, here's what it will finally look like:

2003 SSS

408 stroker with Eagle kit, 4.030 bore size, 6.125 rod lenght, -2cc flat top pistons.

World Products Cylinder Heads. 72cc, 235cc Link : Warhawk LS1X 15 degree

CR 10.6 :1

A cam grind of 232/236 595/602 114

1.75:1 Pro-Magnum Rocker Arm Kit (adds about .008 lift)

Pro Magnum Hydraulic Roller Lifters

Hi-Tech™ Pushrods 7.4" x 5/16"

Accel High Impedance Injectors 62 lbs/hr 74620S Link : Accel Injectors

I will also add a wideband A/F ratio and a Interceptor scan gauge. I never heard of those cylinder heads before but they look kick ass to me at least. :D

I just started to receive some goodies The Eagle kit came with Arias pistons :flag:

Below, some pictures of the cylinder heads, man they have huge springs :omg:

Tomorrow I should receive the warranty parts from Comp Cams, the build will then take place finally :smash:

217880.jpg

217881.jpg

217882.jpg

217883.jpg

• 9 months later...