Radix and Tranny Improvements

BenKey

For you Radix guys that have done nothing with moving the heat exchanger it came with away from in front of your tranny cooler, this is the thing.

I installed the Magnacharger heat exchanger upgrade and while I was at it put a larger B&M super cooler tranny cooler (11 X 11).

The larger H/E will improve cooling and recovery of IATs if driving hard. The super cooler will keep the temps down on your tranny for doing the same. I live in FL and have yet to see the full heating potential from the stress of the blower on my tranny. But, I don't want to wait and find out just how hot it gets either. If something goes in my tranny, it won't be because it wasn't being kept cool. This cooler also added another qt capacity to my tranny fluid. Here is what they look like installed:

This is the tranny cooler. I took the stock bracket (bottom one) and was able to flip it to where the flat piece would be facing outward (needed some grinding) . Then I got another strip of metal (top bracket) and mounted it after prime and paint. The connectors were provided by a specialty company here locally. I kept the radiator cooler in the loop and just tapped into the lines that were already coming to the stock tranny cooler.

trnnycooler.jpg

Here you can see the Magnacharger larger cooler. Very easy to mount. Thanks for the help Brian. Contact blownchevy to find out how to purchase.

Heatxchanger.jpg

Everything is wet because I had both coolant and tranny fluid in various places.

It was 70* out today. So I decided on the way home I would stand on it a lot and try to get the tranny temps up. Could not get it to go over about 125*, or so. Including doing about a 15ft four wheel spin. :D I'll have to go and take pics of the skid marks on the road. Don't know how dark they are, but I saw them in the rearview. I even smelled the rubber up in the cab of the truck. Despite that, tranny was running nice and cool.

Didn't record any IATs with the new heat exchanger, but will do that tomorrow to see how much it changed.

Darn it Ben, you keep getting me thinking about more mods!!! Now you are making the trany cooler sound good. :D

I got a used Radix heat exchanger that I bought from some guy in CA, that would easily fit the bill ;) I never even used it.

Darn it Ben, you keep getting me thinking about more mods!!! Now you are making the trany cooler sound good. :D

I got a used Radix heat exchanger that I bought from some guy in CA, that would easily fit the bill ;) I never even used it.

That's right, you got two regular H/E s now. :crazy: Perhaps put them behind the brake ducts?

That's right, you got two regular H/E s now. :crazy: Perhaps put them behind the brake ducts?

:chevy::cheers:

Rode to work this morning and did some logging.

I monitored my IATs and tranny temperature. First of all, it was about 31 degrees coming in this morning. I have made numerous logged runs in cold temps, but they still do not compare to what I saw this morning. My IATs only reached a temp of 121 degrees after quite a few hard throttle starts. Mostly because of the outside temp. In warm weather, I've only seen it hit around 135-145 degrees.

The biggest change that was noted this morning is how quick the IATs come down. Again, largely due to the outside temp, but I have never seen them reduce as fast as they did this morning, regardless. The temps dropped 30 degrees in about 45 seconds, starting from my highest temp. Understanding that this will not happen as good in 95+ temps, but I am very happy with the relocated/larger heat exchanger results. Lower IATs = hp.

This heat exchanger required 0 modification on my part and can be installed in about a hour and a half. It's made by Magnacharger. All the Radix guys should be jumping all over this, it's just too easy. Electric fans will be coming soon.

My tanny temps were also monitored. They never got above 117. One thing I did note was that the gauge in the dash is almost twenty degrees off what I was showing in EFILive. I plan on lifting my needle and adjusting it to show the true reading. The gauge read lower.

Thanks for the data report Ben. I'm surprised your IAT's get that high with the outside temp so low (and you have ram air). I guess your smaller pulley is driving that Radix pretty hard!! Glad to hear the H/E upgrade provided noticable results!

:D:thumbs:

Archived