Thoughts On Extended Warranty?

ramfootball36

So I just bought a 2004 Black Silverado SS. The truck looks extremely well taken care of. It was a one owner truck up to this point and had 59,000 miles on it when I bought it. I got offered an extended warranty with the truck for an additional 3000. I went ahead and agreed to it. Its a 4 year 48,000 mile warranty premium warranty with 0 deductable. I started thinking about it and reconsidered agreeing to the warranty. I have 30 days to cancel it and need to know what you guys think. 3000 in repairs for a truck this new I sure wouldn't expect to have but my question is first do you guys think this is worth it and also what kind of problems do these trucks have? Anything I should know before cancelling the warranty? This seems like a really well built truck.

I'll let some others give their opinions as to whether an extended warranty is a good idea or not, but Holy Cow, $3000 is a lot for an extended warranty.

I, personally, am willing to take the chance that nothing major is going to go wrong. My warranty on my '06 is up in 4000 miles.

Another thing you gotta ask yourself is, am I going to modify the truck? If so, the extended warranty will do you no good if they determine that your mods caused the failure.

I'll let some others give their opinions as to whether an extended warranty is a good idea or not, but Holy Cow, $3000 is a lot for an extended warranty.

I, personally, am willing to take the chance that nothing major is going to go wrong. My warranty on my '06 is up in 4000 miles.

Another thing you gotta ask yourself is, am I going to modify the truck? If so, the extended warranty will do you no good if they determine that your mods caused the failure.

Ya, good point. I was thinkin of throwing on a chip and what not. I think I'll go ahead and cancel it. I've always had good luck with GM and don't expect this thing to be any different.

I bought one for my SSS .... It was only $2090 ... for a GM Major Guard warranty ... I bought for an extended 5 years or 50,000 miles ... Bought it on the last two days of my Bumper to Bumper warranty ...

Reasoning ... my truck is an '04 with only 16K on it ... too many sensors and AWD parts to go wrong ... $3000 is a little high ... talk to them, have them lower it ...

in my opinion, if you plan to extensively mod the truck, an extended warranty is worthless in MOST cases..

if you plan to only put a catback, cold air intake and maybe a tune, but plan to keep your original tune as well, then it might be worth the extra money.

I don't plan to mod it up too much and I'm really easy on my cars. I also maintain my cars myself. But the thing is I'd rather plop down the money in repairs if I need it rather than waste the money now and not have anything go wrong. Basically I was just wondering if these things are notorious for having any big items go out? I mean I don't mind taking it the shop for somethin here or something there but I just don't want to be buying a tranny or something after having it for a year.

$3000 seems a little steep. I purchased the warranty on my '03 for the same reasons as Stitches040. I bought my truck new, and the warranty was around $1500 for 5 years/100k. I'm already glad I did. I've had a few minor things go wrong, but I take it to the dealership, no deductible, get a rental car for a day, and get it back washed up. To me, it was worth it. I know I don't have to worry about anything going wrong with my wife or kids in it when it's -20 degrees. Towing is included as well.

For me, it's one less thing I have to worry about... and I have enough to worry about.

I got a 4yr 48K mile warranty for like $2800 I think. Ive had my truck for about 5 months and Ive already used almost $2000 in repairs with it- wheel bearings, a seat motor and some other small stuff... Mines got 70K on it now and I bought it with 63K on it

I say skip that warranty. $3k is a lot for the warranty you got, plus if you do mod it at all some dealerships will void the warranty. there are some major issues that many are having with the SS like trans failure and front diff problems. Those 2 issues alone could cost you over $3k. if it was me I would pass on the warranty but then again I've modded the $hirt out of my ss.

Just a little update. So when I bought the warranty with the truck I asked numerous times if I could cancel the warranty. He told me again and again that it was no problem at all and I could cancel it at any time. It would just be pro-rated after the first 30 days. So I called him the morning after I got the truck. I told him I had done some thinkin and decided against the warranty. This finance guy starts telling me its not a good decision and I need to reconsider. After trying to sell me for about 5 minutes I was like look man, I made the decision that I don't want the warranty...period. So this dude goes off telling me thats the problem today is noone is a man of their word. Hes like, you sit here like an adult and sign the papers then chicken out the next day. He went off for about 30 seconds before I lost it on him. Told him that is he wants to talk to me like a 13 year old he's gonna have 230 pounds of pissed off white boy stompin a mud hole in him. Well after I got off the phone I called the dealership and got the normal....oh we're sorry....we'll have a talk with him. Anyway, quite an experience. I've never been treated like that after buying a car and I can assure you I will not buy another one from them. When I cancelled the warranty I told him that I had thought about it and was willing to keep it if he would come down on the price but decided that I would rather fork out 6000 in repairs than pad his pockets with a single penny. So thats my story.......and I'm still heated!

• 1 month later...
depends on your mod plans.... building the engine up swaping the trans ect ect ect.

Thats not bad when you break it down. $3000.00 devided into 4 years. Cost you $750.00 per year for a total warranty with $0.00 deductible. I work at a GM dealership and it don't take much to run up $750.00 in repairs per year. So i think it was a wise move. :cheers: