Need your expertise

BenKey

I have noticed that just inside/outside of my exhaust tip lately there has been a much higher concentration of carbon than normal.

My truck has been overly rich since the blower install, but I thought changing my heads would have decreased it some, not increased it. It is pretty bad now.

I know that I am in desperate need of a tune, and one day I'll be there, but is this all it could be? It doesn't appear to be oily, or anything.

At idle, your cam is allowing more intake air and fuel to pass out the exhaust before the exhaust valve closes. That is caused by the increased overlap you cam has. That unburned fuel is the source of your buildup.

This could be handled pretty easily if you would break down and buy LS1 edit. :P

Slim, I've ridden in yours. I need the heads and cam more than you do. :P

Just watching Allen play with the software when he was reprogramming everyone's truck was pretty cool. It seems pretty straight forward as long as you know what values you're supposed to be putting in.

I had the carbon depesit problem too. It seems to be a lot better since the tune. Allen said it was running real lean and the computer was overcompensating by goin full rich to protect the engine. I would bet you have the same issue.

This could be handled pretty easily if you would break down and buy LS1 edit.  :P

Well...you know how hard it is for me to spend that much money on a new truck. ;)

At idle, your cam is allowing more intake air and fuel to pass out the exhaust before the exhaust valve closes. That is caused by the increased overlap you cam has. That unburned fuel is the source of your buildup.

I did pull out my plugs to change over to NGK iridiums. There was quite a bit of fuel on the plugs. Mostly on the driver's side, though. The one thing I was very happy to see was no signs of detonation from the 2.75" pulley. Plugs looked beautiful, despite hitting 10+lbs of boost easily.

This could be handled pretty easily if you would break down and buy LS1 edit.  :P

Well...you know how hard it is for me to spend that much money on a new truck. ;)

I did pull out my plugs to change over to NGK iridiums. There was quite a bit of fuel on the plugs. Mostly on the driver's side, though. The one thing I was very happy to see was no signs of detonation from the 2.75" pulley. Plugs looked beautiful, despite hitting 10+lbs of boost easily.

I just put a radix on my truck and im getting a tune from nelson performance and a 2.9 pulley. I asked him about the 2.7 and he said that it wouldnt improve the power over the 2.9. I think thats what he said unless I misunderstood him.

On the stock heads a 2.7 pulley is more than likely going to detonate with the 10:1 CR. Maybe he was referring to how much timing he would have to pull to keep that from happening, that it would not be worth it.

I only refer to the heads, because that's the avenue I used to lower my CR.

On the stock heads a 2.7 pulley is more than likely going to detonate with the 10:1 CR. Maybe he was referring to how much timing he would have to pull to keep that from happening, that it would not be worth it.

Thats what he meant thanks for the info.

Archived