Onstar Speaker Making Noise

rojo_143

Well...I finally fixed everything that I undoubtably broke...

No matter how I situated the little fan, it still made noise....so I took the thing out...pulled the cover off, lightly/nicely bent up the thermometer, and found that the fan pulls out easily....I ended up lubing up the fan's shaft with a lubricant that is, IMO, the baddest lube in the world...smells like butt...but it's the best!!!

DSC02459.JPG

But WD40 will do.....anyhoo...the A/C and heater are now working like a charm...and I don't hear crap from the fan....

the only biotch of it is to get the fan out from under the headliner....

the only biotch of it is to get the fan out from under the headliner....

Could you please elaborate on just how to remove the fan so I can lube the shaft and get rid of the cold morning buzz? What all did you do to get above the headliner to remove the fan? Remove trim, whole headliner, or just loosed the drivers side headliner? Any tips or pictures would be appreciated. :D

Could you please elaborate on just how to remove the fan so I can lube the shaft and get rid of the cold morning buzz? What all did you do to get above the headliner to remove the fan? Remove trim, whole headliner, or just loosed the drivers side headliner? Any tips or pictures would be appreciated. :D

You got it...Just pop the plastic cover off of the fan from the inside.....then I just pulled the door seal down a bit...and just kinda pulled down on the headliner to get enough room to squeeze my hand in there and pull the fan out....the wire is glued to the top of the headliner and won't allow you to pull the fan out to where you can work on it(the biotch part)...I just tugged on mine to get it out enough to disconnect/connect the wire...

My headliner didn't seem to have anything holding it up in the driver's door area....there is some velcro holding it close to the rear door latch, that I had to pull apart to make enough room to get my hand in....

Once you get the fan out, there is 3 latches holding the cover on...pop the cover off, and gently pull the thermometer up to make room to get the fan out...The fan just pulls straight up....spray the fan shaft lighty and do everything in reverse...

You got it...Just pop the plastic cover off of the fan from the inside.....

Are you talking about the plastic circular grill with the holes in it that is right above your head? (looks like a speaker grill) Remove that first from the bottom side of the headliner before reaching above the headliner to remove the fan assembly? If so do I just pull on the grill piece or is there any twisting or prying involved?

As for the headliner it's good to hear I do not have to remove the A-Pillar trim or the driver's side sun visor to get enough space above the headliner to reach my arm in and get to the fan assembly.

Thanks for the tips, I appreciate it!!

Yup...pull the grill off first...no tricks to it, just used a small flathead uner the grill and your thumb on top and pry that sucker off...

For lack of a better discription/terminology, the grill holds the fan in place by means of one way catch grabs...if that makes sense...

just pop the grill straight off

Got it, Thanks!! I had that noisy fan out in less than 2 min with your tips. I lubricated the fan shaft and the motor bushing and popped it right back into place in no time. It was quiet right after I reinstalled it, but I'll test it in the morning after sitting in the cold garage overnight at 20 deg, that is the true test. :uhoh:

FYI (to help others with the same problem) the part is called an ASPIRATOR any my part number is 15029252 ($23 @ GM parts direct) that has been replaced by part number 25771194 ($28 @ GM parts direct).

I also took some pictures of the parts during disassembly to help fellow SSS members out. :D

post-3185-1200617380_thumb.jpgpost-3185-1200617396_thumb.jpg post-3185-1200617583_thumb.jpg post-3185-1200617479_thumb.jpg

post-3185-1200617625_thumb.jpg post-3185-1200617635_thumb.jpg post-3185-1200617650_thumb.jpg

Edited by SS LS1 (see edit history)

• 1 year later...
Got it, Thanks!! I had that noisy fan out in less than 2 min with your tips. I lubricated the fan shaft and the motor bushing and popped it right back into place in no time. It was quiet right after I reinstalled it, but I'll test it in the morning after sitting in the cold garage overnight at 20 deg, that is the true test. :uhoh:

FYI (to help others with the same problem) the part is called an ASPIRATOR any my part number is 15029252 ($23 @ GM parts direct) that has been replaced by part number 25771194 ($28 @ GM parts direct).

I also took some pictures of the parts during disassembly to help fellow SSS members out. :D

post-3185-1200617380_thumb.jpgpost-3185-1200617396_thumb.jpg post-3185-1200617583_thumb.jpg post-3185-1200617479_thumb.jpg

post-3185-1200617625_thumb.jpg post-3185-1200617635_thumb.jpg post-3185-1200617650_thumb.jpg

Sorry to bring back such an old thread with my first post, but I am having to re-wire my aspirator completely and I need to know what order the wires go into the female connector that attatches to the aspirator. If one of you gentleman could take a gander at yours for me, I would greatly appreciate it. I am pretty sure that the green wire goes into the "A" slot on the connector, but after that I am unsure.

no freakin wonder....my heater has been a sauna...my A/C a freezer...and my blower stuck on cyclone :rolleyes:

Auto has never worked right for me anyways(before HU install)....at least now, I know where to look.....

[/b]

:lol::dunno: