Can A Locked Pcm Be Unlocked?

Vortec MAX

Nelson tuned my truck, and he locks the PCM's. I bought HPTuners Pro from him and he sent me an "unlocked" PCM.

Trouble is, my truck will barely idle with the new unlocked PCM installed.

Can I unlock one of the locked PCM's that I have?

Mike

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you write another tune on a locked PCM to unlock it?

Mike

Not to my knowledge, thats why the PCM is locked........either you have to send the PCM to Nelson to be unlocked, or you have to get the lockout code from him. :chevy:

I never understood the whole locked PCM thing. Its kind of like they are making sure you only use them even if you are unhappy and they have some big secret to hide in how they tune. I know all tuners have there little niches about what they do or dont do but is it really that big of a deal that he seems to be the only one who locks them?

I never understood the whole locked PCM thing. Its kind of like they are making sure you only use them even if you are unhappy and they have some big secret to hide in how they tune. I know all tuners have there little niches about what they do or dont do but is it really that big of a deal that he seems to be the only one who locks them?

Charlie Wheatley locks his out too.........he explained to me that people were buying HP Tuners and trying to adjust his tunes when they had no clue what they were doing, and many severely screwed up their vehicles.

I talked to Allen (indirectly through his secretary) this morning. I was told to try starting the truck 3 to 5 times with the unlocked PCM. If it still won't run, the PCM might be bad.

The only thing that concerns me is ... I have swapped the PCM out several times, and it has always started right up and idled smoothly. Not this time though.

So I will try it a few more times tonight and see what happens.

Mike