Can A Locked Pcm Be Unlocked?

Vortec MAX

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I tried to start it five times as instructed. It died all five times. It did manage to fill my garage with pig rich smoke. Oh, and the check engine light is on when the engine is running, but goes out when it dies.

I disconnected the battery and am waiting a half hour as per another suggestion in this post. I hope that fixes it. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Mike

join the club vortec max. i have a locked pcm by allen nelson that is sitting in my garage that he wont unlock. would like to sell it but its basically worthless unless someone has identical mods as mine.

Thats why i would never use a tuner who locks the PCM

Thats why i would never use a tuner who locks the PCM

Well, he did send me a PCM that is "unlocked" that is supposed to have my most current tune on it. The problem is, my truck won't run with that PCM.

The half hour wait did not work either, so I suspect the PCM is bad. It does have a ding on one of the corners. It was probably dropped at some point in time.

I just swapped out to the PCM that is locked, that is supposed to have the identical tune to the unlocked PCM, and it runs fine.

I just need to exchange this unlocked PCM for one that works.

I bet Allen would buy that PCM you have sitting on your garage floor as a core. Although cores are cheaper now. He is only charging 55 bucks for unreturned cores now.

I think now that I can have him tune for me, email me the tunes, have me upload them with HPTuners Pro, and dyno and log data to send back, it will work out wonderfully.

Mike

Well, he did send me a PCM that is "unlocked" that is supposed to have my most current tune on it. The problem is, my truck won't run with that PCM.

The half hour wait did not work either, so I suspect the PCM is bad. It does have a ding on one of the corners. It was probably dropped at some point in time.

I just swapped out to the PCM that is locked, that is supposed to have the identical tune to the unlocked PCM, and it runs fine.

I just need to exchange this unlocked PCM for one that works.

I bet Allen would buy that PCM you have sitting on your garage floor as a core. Although cores are cheaper now. He is only charging 55 bucks for unreturned cores now.

I think now that I can have him tune for me, email me the tunes, have me upload them with HPTuners Pro, and dyno and log data to send back, it will work out wonderfully.

Mike

sucks to hear your having those issues. no i attempted to sell my tuned pcm but gave up after a while. if the right guy came around with the same mods that i had at that point and didnt care about changing things around in the future id do it for cheap. id send mine to justin so he could at least change the vin on the tune. other than that it makes a good paperweight, lol.

on the other hand he did do a pretty good job tuning it in the first place for a mail order tune.

sucks to hear your having those issues.

It's just a bad PCM, he'll send out another one tomorrow. No big deal. I just get frustrated trying to figure out if it's something I did.

id send mine to justin so he could at least change the vin on the tune. other than that it makes a good paperweight, lol.

Can he do anything with a locked PCM?

on the other hand he did do a pretty good job tuning it in the first place for a mail order tune.

I agree. I have been very pleased with his tunes. As long as I am happy, there's no reason to change tuners. I think I'll enjoy logging and sending him data so he can make corrections. We can get it spot on just like a local dyno tune that way. I think it will be fun, and I will learn a thing or two about tuning along the way.

Mike

Tech II's can't always reset PCM's... or atleast the service techs cant always reset them, make sure the person using it isnt a complete tard... more than enough times if a service tech can't get communication they call the PCM DOA and charge you $3500+ to replace it if they want to consider it under warranty... f you can get the GM OS part# for the original stock tune i might be able to get you a file that would put your truck back to factory.. loading that file is up to you.. but thats just another option i'll lay on the table.

f you can get the GM OS part# for the original stock tune i might be able to get you a file that would put your truck back to factory.. loading that file is up to you.. but thats just another option i'll lay on the table.

I still have the stock PCM in a box. When I bought my first tune from Nelson, I did not send mine in as a core. I have never modified the tune on the factory PCM. Although, with my current mods, I'm not sure how well it would run now.

I do appreciate the offer, however. It's always nice to be offered help.

Mike

I still have the stock PCM in a box. When I bought my first tune from Nelson, I did not send mine in as a core. I have never modified the tune on the factory PCM. Although, with my current mods, I'm not sure how well it would run now.

I do appreciate the offer, however. It's always nice to be offered help.

Mike

it's no problem... where are you at in Idaho? i have a few contacts at GM dealers up there that might be able to get a pcm back to sqaure 1 for you.

well would he pass his code on to another tuner? still keep it secret and pass it on to a reliable tuner to eliminate liability.

Well it is not a code,when the PCM is locked it is locked using your interface.Therefor only that interface can unlock it.It is not like typing in a passsword.