Can A Locked Pcm Be Unlocked?

Vortec MAX

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it is not a code,when the PCM is locked it is locked using your interface.Therefor only that interface can unlock it.It is not like typing in a passsword.

You don't have the option with HPT to choose your own key in addition to a cable-specific key?

To the OP: Any locked PCM can be unlocked if you have enough time to brute force hack it with EFILive. There are 65536 hexadecimal key permutations that you'd potentially have to go through to get it from $0000 to $ffff.

I still have the stock PCM in a box. When I bought my first tune from Nelson, I did not send mine in as a core. I have never modified the tune on the factory PCM. Although, with my current mods, I'm not sure how well it would run now.

I do appreciate the offer, however. It's always nice to be offered help.

Mike

Since you still have the stock PCM you could tune that one. Just download the stock tune, so it can be reloaded if need be. Then build your own tune.

• 2 weeks later...

Justin is correct.

ANY pcm can be unlocked you just have to hack the key.

Or pull off the flash chip if you are in a hurry.

NO tune is unreadable.

The only time a tech 2 would be able to flash a locked one is if it was locked with $FFFF. Some companys do that so the dealer wont void the warrenty for having a modified pcm program. It would be locked to any software but still programable via GM.

The only software that allows you to input your own keys is EFILive. You can modify your lock code, or input one while trying to read.

To brute force a pcm takes anywhere from 0 seconds to 4 days. Just depends on what the key was. The data block is 16bit so it dont take that long. It would be alot worse if it was a 32bit.

I used to unlock pcms for anyone for free but i would put them back to stock before they where shipped back out. It is crap when you pay for something and cant modify it or put it back to stock when needed.

• 1 month later...