Cooked Engine?

454MATT

Hey guys i realize this is not a Silverado issue but you have always given me good advice on my SS. I was driving a 2006 SRT8 Grand Cherokee on the track at about 220 km/h when all of a sudden it lost power, died and coasted to a stop, with a white cloud of smoke and moisture behind me. The plugs are clean, the oil clean and whats left of the coolant is clean as well. The engine turns over by hand no problem ( almost too easy, not sure). Upon tear down i noticed that one of the coolant hoses that goes through the firewall for the heater core had blown off... Im guessing that is where all my coolant went and the cloud of white smoke was caused by it hitting the super hot manifold. Is there a low coolant sensor that cuts the ignition and prevents the vehicle from running? Do you think i caused any internal damage to the engine.

The Jeep is bone stock with 8000 miles on it and no warranty cause it was exported from the US to canada.

454Matt

At 136 mph I bet that was fun!! Not really. I am not sure about the cutoff for over heating, but the SS goes into limp mode when something like this happens.

I would refill and attach the hose and see if it will start. Check for codes and abnormal sounds.

Good luck

CD

At 136 mph I bet that was fun!! Not really. I am not sure about the cutoff for over heating, but the SS goes into limp mode when something like this happens.

I would refill and attach the hose and see if it will start. Check for codes and abnormal sounds.

Good luck

CD

I wish it where that easy, however the front half of the engine and cooling system have already been removed, so I need to figure out wether i should continue to tear apart or put back together? hhhmmmm :confused:

What was the temp guage saying when it happened? How close were you to overheating the engine? Be sure that you didn't cook the head gaskets.

As far as Chrysler products go in terms of an overheating fail-safe, I don't think one exists. I had an "00 Dodge Ram Van with a 318 blow 2 freeze out plugs in the middle of summer on me once at work. I didn't notice it until the temp guage was at 250 and the "check guages" light was flashing, engine was still chugging along like a champ.

The temp guage was the first thing i looked at, and it was well with in the normal range. There is three modules/sensors that detect inconsistencies and then trip certain DTC's, however i have no codes to go off, so its proving difficult to source which one is bad if any of them... There is also an ASD relay (auto shut down) that needs to be considered... looks like i'm going to have to haul it to a different shop and see if they can diagnose the problem(s).

Oh and get this, i just found out from a former employee that the shop i took it too the first time robbed the engine Oil cap off my engine for another customer while it sat in their yard... greasy cocksuckers :fume: nothing like kicking a guy when he's already down....

454Matt

Well i finally got the heads pulled off last night and threw a straight edge on them and found out that they were shaped like horse shoes...No big deal, called today to order some new heads, apparently there is none available.

Anybody know where i can get a set of stock heads or a built up set for a reasonable price?

454Matt

The engine just lost power and we coasted to a stop, through about 60 miles an hour is when we noticed the smoke. I've never heard of Indy but i will look it up..thanx I should find out later today weather or not i can save the heads and have them milled.

The engine just lost power and we coasted to a stop, through about 60 miles an hour is when we noticed the smoke. I've never heard of Indy but i will look it up..thanx I should find out later today weather or not i can save the heads and have them milled.

Indy Cylinder Heads?? You've never heard of them?

Try these guys, lots of stuff for SRT8 vehicles...

FrankRacing.com

It's hard to believe two cylinder heads would warp that badly from a ruptured coolant line that quickly IMO....?

:confused: