Living Up To My Tag

Is the hub seated all the way into the pump? Did you shim the converter bolts by any chance?

FWIW, I like these questions right here. You need to make sure that the converter doesn't need to be moved to far forward to mount to the flexplate. If it moves to far forward, you'll only be riding on partial splines and pump drive tangs/etc, which would cause exactly what you're experiencing.

While you're under the truck getting ready to take it out, take the inspection cover off, remove all of the converter bolts, then slide the converter back towards the trans and measure the distance between the converter mounting points and the flywheel and mark it down. I can't remember what the ideal distance is for our transmissions, but I would guess that the converter company could help you out there (or someone on here could know). It has to slide forward some small amount to make sure it doesn't bind, but to far and you break things like pump drives or input shafts real easy.

I think the reason he says it will cost so much is because he intends to retain the awd system with the 4L80. The trans itself is only about half of that 6k. The 4L80 is longer than the 4L65 and inorder to retain the awd, everything underneath must be relocated. Shorter driveshaft, transfer case adapter, longer front shaft, new cross member mounts, etc. Also I believe the electronics would have to be addressed as well. There is a company that makes the complete swap kits and the total cost with their top line trans is about 6k.

that includes the AWD conversion parts, Of coarse it helps when you get everything cheap as hell be because your family has a trans shop.

Edited by sprayed99 (see edit history)

kevin and brad , good suggestions. ill try and check that out, hopefully the trans isnt out yet.

something else dewey and i were going over was the possibility of the flywheel being bent and or the crank beiong bent or have the rear bearing being out . which should show signs with crank play. i will check this also .

but what is shitty is if it is the crank bearing then whats going to probably have to happen is pulling the entire drivetrain.

which will lead to needing a new crank and depending on bearing condition a new block.

but it couldnt have happened at a worse time, im pretty broke .

so i may try and get the truck parked somewhere for now.

btw the new lsx tall deck block was just released.

in fact I know where there is a fully built 80E, vig. converter, crossmember, drive shafts cut already and the adapter plate for 2600. in the fort worth area. If someone wants it shoot me a pm and I will get ahold of the guy and see if its still there.

I think he already sold it. BigTex was looking into this for me and I think we are talking about the same one.

Keep us posted Chase, this is what modifying is all about. :cheers:

yeah i know he has the lsx but now the tall deck is out , its baout 500 more . i can get it for 2500 new . but im going to figure out where i am and what im going to do with the motor as of now.

going back to the 4l80e..i say go for it its a strong tranny and once you have it, its there for a long time its one less thing to worry about...with a FLT tranny and PI converter..possibly a reactor flexplate that drive train is bomb proof