My Front Differential Story

Lately I've developed a 'scraping' noise I swear is coming from the front driveline. It is the loudest when the truck is warmed up and running about 30mph. I noticed that the application of throttle influences the noise. Throttle on equals noise. Throttle off equals less noise. This is definately metal on metal contact type of noise.

Anyways, I took to a shop in my area that has a flawless reputation and they gave it a thorough check. First thing they did was take it for a test drive and wouldn't you know it. It being very cold the noise was barely there. Second, they checked front differential fluid. Clear and no metal shavings on the magnetic plug. They checked the transfer case and it looked good. They checked the rest of the driveline and could find no issues.

I can't be a wheel bearing. It's probably not a CV joint. What could it be? This is starting to bug me.

Thoughts anyone?

Regards,

Dan

Just got mine back from the dealership Tuesday. Sounds like what I had. They replaced the axle bearings in the front differential. Noise is gone now. The way mine acted was--on the gas hard--no noise. Off the gas -- very little or no noise. Cruising, just barely on the gas--sounded like something was loose in the drivetrain.

If you don't have metal on the magnet your differential is ok. I have had both front wheel bearings go bad. Jack it up and check them out. I jacked up all 4 and put in gear then walked around an listen you can tell what is making the noise..bearing assembly = 160$ each at auto parts store 300$ dealer.

Sounds like wheel or axle bearings to me.......could even be a pinion bearing. I am guessing the noise will get progressively worse the faster you go, and before long you will start to feel a slight vibration in the steering wheel. :chevy:

Edited by Fireman31 (see edit history)

Lately I've developed a 'scraping' noise I swear is coming from the front driveline. It is the loudest when the truck is warmed up and running about 30mph. I noticed that the application of throttle influences the noise. Throttle on equals noise. Throttle off equals less noise. This is definately metal on metal contact type of noise.

Anyways, I took to a shop in my area that has a flawless reputation and they gave it a thorough check. First thing they did was take it for a test drive and wouldn't you know it. It being very cold the noise was barely there. Second, they checked front differential fluid. Clear and no metal shavings on the magnetic plug. They checked the transfer case and it looked good. They checked the rest of the driveline and could find no issues.

I can't be a wheel bearing. It's probably not a CV joint. What could it be? This is starting to bug me.

Thoughts anyone?

Regards,

Dan

I have the same thing you have but with the shavings on the plug. The carrier bearing on the drivers side is going out. I drained the fluid and put new fluid back in. While I was under the truck I grabbed the hub that bolts to the wheel axle and can move it up and down and all around. Thats not cool!!!! So instead of letting Chevrolet try to fix a problem they know all about and want correct I will be installing a Jaspers front differential. They have a 3 year 100,000 mile warranty on there differentials. :) I talked with a tech and they know of all the problems with them and they have been updated. These people have there act together. They update everything. Basicly they take a piece of crap and make it perfect. The front unit costs 1800.00 with a core. Hopefully this will steer you in the right direction.

Well isn't that just great! My truck is doing something similar now too! When I go slow like in a parking lot or a drive through I can hear a noise from my driver's side. It goes CREAK space CREAK space CREAK space. Brake pads are good, almost new. IT only does it when I am off the gas. I don't know what to do! I know I can not afford to replace a front diff, that's for sure. I changed all fluids last week. The front diff had lots of shavings on the plug, like maybe a little less than 1/2 a tablespoon and the fluid was milky white. I seriously am thinking about dumping this truck for something thats not going to be a money pit.

Anyone else had this problem and what was the cause?

Edited by YenkoChevelle69 (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

Update. My scrapping noise is getting more frequent but not as consistent as I would like. I can hear it most consistently aound 30mph when engine and road noise is at it's lowest. It sounds like a worn brake pad rubbing on a rotor but it's not since I got all new brakes a month ago. Today I was going around a circular on ramp to a main highway at about 30mph and it got alot louder once I was in this sweeping right hander.

It's a rotational noise so it's definitely in the driveline.

Today it got louder in a sweeping right-hand turn.

It's sounds like it's coming from just below the gas and brake pedal.

List of possible suspects.

1. One or more of the two pinion bearings?

2. One or more of the carrier bearings?

3. The sole outboard axle bearing in the front diff?

4. A C/V joint?

5. A wheel bearing?

I do not want to let this go till something implodes. Ideas anyone? I had one inspection and two test drives and no one has found anything yet.

Regards,

Dan :cheers:

• 1 month later...

I have the same problem. Gets worse as I apply throttle, not present at idle. Sounds like a rock tumbler. Have balance issues at high speeds. Had the front diff fluid changed last week and they said there were metal shavings on the plug. I know its the diff. Taking it in tomorrow. I have 60k miles on it with 20k with the blower. It gets worse in a sweeping right hand turn as well. Looks like I will be out $900-1000 and there goes my cam swap fund :mad: