Cost To Rebuild Front Diff?

Ever since I took out my transmission, I've been wondering how much time my front diff actually has left on this earth. It's got a drip of oil at the pinion seal and has a "clunk" if you rotate the pinion shaft by hand, so I know it's time to rebuild it before it goes boom. The questions are these:

How much would you pay, or have you already paid, to rebuild the stock piece?

Are there upgraded parts they can use to avoid premature failure of the stock unit?

Are there any later model updates that would work from a salvage yard, or are all OE units the same?

Cool. I just talked with an acle shop here and I'm looking at 2-300 max if it needs a total rebuild (since mine will already be out of the truck). He's even going to let me stick around the shop and learn!!! I've done diffs before, but never front ones that you have to split the case in two just to work on it...

Edited by SS_bnoon_SS (see edit history)

The shop that's looking at mine said the majority of the cost involved is taking the diff out and back in. That's the most time consuming part.

Regards,

Dan

P.S. I'm getting them to save any failed parts so I can post pictures.

Edited by dantwomey (see edit history)

The shop that's looking at mine said the majority of the cost involved is taking the diff out and back in. That's the most time consuming part.

Regards,

Dan

P.S. I'm getting them to save any failed parts so I can post pictures.

The verdict is in. Driver's side carrier bearing totally gone. Pass side carrier bearing scored. One of the pinion bearing needs replacing. Total including synthetic gear lube........ about $700. Will post pics when I get the parts back.

All this at 32,000 miles.

Regards,

Dan

My 2004 with 80,000 will be going in for a front diff swap to. The warranty company wanted to put me another 2004 diff back in my truck. Now let me think :confused: I have a 04 why in the hell would I want another one. This one screwed up and guess what the used will to. They (warranty company) are giving me a total of 1235.00 for labor oil etc. I will be adding 500.00 to this and buy a Jaspers rebuilt diff. You can get one for 1800.00 with 3year 100,000 mile warranty. I to have a drivers side carrier bearing that is shot. Now I'm not the smartest man in the world but if your carrier bearing was completely shot that is the hub or axle moves up and down and all around wouldn't that also screw up the backlash and the very fine settings the ring and pinion have or need. If you have a lot of trash from the bearing, ring and pinion etc the best thing would be to rebuild the whole thing. I have heard so much about the front ends of these trucks that it doesn't pay to rebuild these. Leave it to the pros to cure this problem and be done with it.

Cool. I just talked with an acle shop here and I'm looking at 2-300 max if it needs a total rebuild (since mine will already be out of the truck). He's even going to let me stick around the shop and learn!!! I've done diffs before, but never front ones that you have to split the case in two just to work on it...

That's pretty dam cheap. If your talking a total rebuild like bearings,seals, ring and pinion etc then someone lied to ya. :( I got a price on a 4:10 ring and pinion gear and it was $620.00. Good luck. Just make sure they do it right.

That's pretty dam cheap. If your talking a total rebuild like bearings,seals, ring and pinion etc then someone lied to ya. :( I got a price on a 4:10 ring and pinion gear and it was $620.00. Good luck. Just make sure they do it right.

They're just replacing the toasted bearings and seals. They come highly recommended in my area. Time will tell if it was a worthwhile repair.

Regards,

Dan

They're just replacing the toasted bearings and seals. They come highly recommended in my area. Time will tell if it was a worthwhile repair.

Regards,

Dan

Call Jasper engines and act like your wanting to purchase one, they will need your vin number. Ask them if they know of the problems GM had with these diff's and ask what they did to solve the problem. Listen to what they tell you. I know of a guy with a new ford diesel truck that had two trans put in by ford same problem. He bought a Jaspers and hasn't had a problem since. With a 3yr 100,000 warranty that has to tell you something about there workmenship. Just be carefull is all I'm saying.

Yeah it doesn't include ring/pinion since I have no howl going down the road. It's just better than stock bearings and new seals and any new shims needed.

The verdict is in. Driver's side carrier bearing totally gone. Pass side carrier bearing scored. One of the pinion bearing needs replacing. Total including synthetic gear lube........ about $700. Will post pics when I get the parts back.

All this at 32,000 miles.

Regards,

Dan

that is same issue that mine is having. I was expecting almost double that for a rebuild. gears seem fine, but the driver's carrier bearing is shot. the passenger seems fine, but that's from checking for play while it's on the lift.

ok, guess I should have kept reading before jumping the gun. I also have an almost constant howl and chances are, a complete rebuild will be in order. better yet, SHOULD be in order. oh yea, I'm just under 80k. :rolleyes:

ok, guess I should have kept reading before jumping the gun. I also have an almost constant howl and chances are, a complete rebuild will be in order. better yet, SHOULD be in order. oh yea, I'm just under 80k. :rolleyes:

It depends on how bad the howl is because bearings can howl too. If the pinion bearing is good, then you're ring and pinion are most likely usable. Won't know until the case is cracked.

Also, mine is at 66,xxx miles and needs a trans and diff at the same time.