Tailgate Hits Rollpan

packjh

My roll pan hits my tail gait....it barely touches but was enough to scratch the small plastic piece at the bottom of the tailgate enough that the paint shop cannot buff it and is going to repaint it for free. They were trying to talk me into leaving it off but i dont like how it looks without it. They tried to readjust the pan but could not get it to not touch. Im prolly just going to rhino line my bed and weld the tailgate shut and never use it again.

Which roll pan are you using?did the shop try to adjust the gate? When the gate is closed does the roll ban and gate sit flush?If the roll pan sets in under the gate the gate will have to be adjusted in or the roll pan needs spacers to push it out then the gate will be able to open and close without rubbing. Another Question is how tight is the gap between the two? Post a few pic's and I may be able to help.

There has to be something wrong here... you're using a BSER pan correct?? There is a pretty substantial gap between the gate and the top of the pan so I'd check to make sure everything is installed correctly... maybe the shop mounted the pan too high?

DSC01404.jpg?t=1204397370

Edited by Dylan06SS (see edit history)

they actually went back and pushed it down but said it still wont clear... Ive taking my tail gate on and off a couple times trying to figure out if i had put it on wrong or not and it only touches in the very middle of the tailgate and if i had a 1/16 of in more it wouldnt touch at all....and i do use my bed ive got scratches all in that thing. I just dont wanna mess up my tailgate or roll pan.

I have the same issue and did not realize it until it was to late. I just had the truck repainted and opened the tailgate to put something in the bed and then closed it to find the scratches. It seems the tail gate has a curve to it and the bser roll pan does not because it mounts to the flat part of the bed. Some one said to put spacers. That was what I was thinking as well, to help the roll pan curve like the tailgate. I then think it should not rub. If there are any other thoughts out there post them. Also there is plenty of gap between the pan and the bottom of the gate, so moving it down will make it not line up on the sides. My 2 cents.

EXACT same problem. My truck is going back in on Tuesday to have the gate adjusted and the trim piece repainted. I spent a lot of time trying to figure it out. It looks as if it doesn't touch until the gate is all the way down. I noticed as well that the gate is curved and the rollpan isn't. I also tried to lower the roll pan to eliminate the touching without luck. Sucks because it just barely touches enough to scratch the paint enough to not be able to buff out.

Wiz

Well I had a couple of minutes today and really needed to use the bed of my truck, so I figured I try to shim it out in the middle. I had a paint stick in my garage so I loosed the pan under the gate and slid the paint stick behind to see if it helps. This is a temp solution, but it did help. It still needs to be pulled out a little bit more to clear the gate when it is all the way down, but a definite improvement.

Dont worry to much everytruck is differnt and tons of people have not had a problem at all... I guess worse comes to worse you could always put painters tape over ur pan and tailgate and let that rub together

i dont have a roll pan but maybe this could help some of you guys that have the slightest of rubs. your tailgate can be adjusted up. just move up the hinges and the strikers they wont move very much but maybe itll be enough to stop the rubbing. your tailgate and bed sides may not line up perfectly but it shouldnt be to noticable. with out running out side and looking i think youll need a torx bit set about $30 at sears.

I like the R/P on the left. If it was not so much to have it painted and installed I would have one

They're the same pan... my truck is on the right w/ the BSER filled in... Adams2003 is on the left w/ the BSER installed the "standard" way.