dual octane tuning

02denali

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sounds like to me Nelson is not the expert he claims to be and he's using 02 Denali is his less then expert spokesman! I though it was kind of funny that 02 Denali starts the thread and Allen is the next post. Coordinated?

Hey, PewterC3 that makes you at 21 posts congratulations. Thanks for the informative reply. :smash:

:rolleyes: I'm on many forums and only found this one recently...I have a C3 not an SS so I only visit here to learn and share info on the AWD and other common features. What difference does it make how many posts I have? Are you trying to imply that I'm only here to monitor you? :crazy:

I'm not in the business of trying to market a product on the forums like you are Allen so my comments are sometimes mean't to stir up discussion, and can't cost me any lost business.... unlike how remarks could affect yours. :wtf:

I'm getting with a guy who be able to find something on when the tables are used, I'll post shortly and share the info. I've been on the edit lists for a while and I don't think I've ever seen anyone post some facts about these tables. Just suggestions and theories, some do make a lot sense though.

PewterC3,

It's no biggy, I was just poking at you, we're all allowed to act up once in a while. :cheers:

later,

allen

Here is some additional info on GM's adaptive knock system - adaptive knock tests - how the PCM shifts the timing between the hi and lo octane tables. Testing was performed by GMPX at EFILive - seems he has tortured a few engines to figure out how the PCM works. I have confirmed his conclusions with my own scanning, though I did not torture my engine to prove it to myself. If you look at the adaptive knock scaler in his graphs, you can see how continuous knock gradually pushes the base timing toward the low octane table. This is in addition to any timing pulled by detected KR.

Example: Hi octane set at 30, low oct set at 20. A single ping can pull say 5* of timing and drop the adaptive scaler to 95%. So after that ping, timing is 95% of the way between the hi and lo tables (29.5*) minus the 5* pulled by KR for total timing of 24.5*. If no more knock occurs, the 5* KR will decay away afer a few seconds and the octane scaler will gradually return to 100% hi octane timing. Constant knock can reduce the adaptive scaler to 0%, which would be the low oct table.

Hope this makes sense.. :)

I was stuck on the low octane timing table, which was one of the issues Magnuson found when attempting to resolve me realizing only a 60rwhp gain from their Radix.... :confused:

I highly doubt you were stuck on the low octane tables. I've never seen any vehicle run on the low table. The low table is used by the PCM in a equation using several other variables to reduce knock. It may also play a small role in TQ mgmt, if you were (and I doubt it) running on the Low Table you had to have a perfectly Terrible Tune to meet all the requirements to end up on the Low Octane Timing Tables.

My point is with good knowledge of LS1 Edit and the PCM you don't need to take short cuts to get performance as some here appear to have :smash:

Here is some additional info on GM's adaptive knock system - adaptive knock tests - how the PCM shifts the timing between the hi and lo octane tables. Testing was performed by GMPX at EFILive - seems he has tortured a few engines to figure out how the PCM works. I have confirmed his conclusions with my own scanning, though I did not torture my engine to prove it to myself. If you look at the adaptive knock scaler in his graphs, you can see how continuous knock gradually pushes the base timing toward the low octane table. This is in addition to any timing pulled by detected KR.

Example: Hi octane set at 30, low oct set at 20. A single ping can pull say 5* of timing and drop the adaptive scaler to 95%. So after that ping, timing is 95% of the way between the hi and lo tables (29.5*) minus the 5* pulled by KR for total timing of 24.5*. If no more knock occurs, the 5* KR will decay away afer a few seconds and the octane scaler will gradually return to 100% hi octane timing. Constant knock can reduce the adaptive scaler to 0%, which would be the low oct table.

Hope this makes sense.. :)

Very much on the right track.. Mabey you should be a tuner too :jester:

In Autotap, 870 is too lean, like he said. When I have atap and the wideband hooked up, I dont like to see anything below 900mv and about 12.0-12.2 on a boosted vehicle. On a NA truck, 880-90 seems to work out great.

You can scale your tables down a little bit to get your ltrims in order.

Your timing looks good, 29degs and no KR.

I just confirmed with jeff (from another forum that was at the dyno) that one degree in timing at wot was worth 11hp on his truck.

later,

allen

Oh lord, I guess I asked for it, didn't I. :nonod:

I have a wideband and know how to use it, problem is that I'm out of stock injector. I'm seeing a 22ms pulse width at 6000 rpms, so there isn't any more fuel to be had. If someone would give me the injector offset values for the 8.1 marine injectors, I'd slap them in. :P (for the time being, I've cut back my shift points)

Otherwise, I'm able to get nice high timing without KR and without really tricking my knock sensors. No major MAF adjustments or VE shanges so far. I'm pleased with how its running, especially on the stock muffler.

* The positive trim values were results of my ported TB and very cold temps during this log. I have that issue pretty much resolved.

My wideband showed about 13:1 to my trucks O2s at .87ish.

Archived