Heads??

I have been bouncing this question of a few of the guys, now I will ask everyone. Is the 2K that I would spend on heads going to be worth the minimal gains I will see power wise. Or am I completely wrong about what kind of gains to expect. I am under the impression that the Dynamax long tubes and high flow cats I ordered and a bigger cam than mine can get me close to the same thing. I hope I am wrong because I got money burning a whole in my pocket.

personally i'd just port the stock one's and go with the supermax headers. it's the exhaust side that's going to need the majority of the work.

Who would do that, and what advantages would that produce? Has anyone done before/after dyno runs with ported stock heads?

This is just my 2 cents worth....On my trans am i went from running 12.36@109mph with stock heads and the comp cam that is in it now, changing to TEA stage 1.5 heads I dropped to 11.94@114mph in the same weather conditions and everything. This isnt a huge cam either that had to have heads to run. Its only running .525/.532 lift with 216/220 duration.

do the cam/headers first then later down the line do the heads.

you'll probably get around 25-35rwhp from the cam and another 25-35+ from the heads. depending on cam size and head quality.

with a decent cam/head and the rest of the bolt-ons you should push 400-420rwhp.

for the most part, except afr's, all heads that you buy for these engines are factory heads that are re-worked. i do all my own (and some for other people) port work. machining i send out to baker engineering, but everything else i do myself.

Archived