Removing A/c

RacerJJ

Everyone should know by now that my SSS is a drag truck only now with no intentions of returning to stock. I am going through the process of removing every unnecessary thing on the truck and the A/C is one of them. Does anyone have any experience disconnecting and removing the A/C system or know how I could find out? TIA...

it needs to be done by a shop so they can catch the old gas. Then start pulling it off, its nice that the AC is on its own belt...Do you have the seats/interior out yet??

Yep, those have been out for a while. What do you mean catch the old gas?

Supposedly...134 doesn't hurt the atmosphere....although I probably wouldn't

I had a mom and pop shop replace the needle valve in the charge side(slow leak).....and yup...you guessed it, they just unscrewed it without evacuating it...Blew lubricant all over the underside of my hood....

took the a/c off my camaro.. just let it leak out slow. after its empty, just unbolt everything and tear it out. rather simple actually.

But like said above.. its not legal so becarefull... keep ur garage door shut lol. maybe go buy a cheap bottle of a/c recharge so if for some wild 1% chance someone stops and asks wtf ur doing u can just say "tryin to recharge my a/c" :thumbs:

the fine for letting refrigerant out into the atmosphere is up to 50,000 dollars and the e.p.a. doesn't even need to see you do it. all that has to happen is a rat to see you doing it with some sort of video or still camera and the rat gets a 25,000 dollar reward. no joke. i learned this when i took my 608/609 cert classes. if you were close i'd evac it for you. parts removal is the easy part.

Clean Air Act

Edited by WODY (see edit history)

I don't want to hurt the environment or get fined but getting to a shop is a hassle for me. Is there a way I can can do this legally in my garage?

I don't think so, I believe a special "recapturing" machine is required however you might be able to take the truck to an A/C shop and they may evacuate it for free since they get to keep the gas.

You can get the DVD copy of the GM Service Manual on here for $25 and all the step-by-step pics are in there for everything not only the climate control.

Mr. P. :)

I don't want to hurt the environment or get fined but getting to a shop is a hassle for me. Is there a way I can can do this legally in my garage?

it would be 500+ bucks to buy a portable setup, and since you're doing a one time evac i don't think its worth it.

You should just get a procharger and run the a/c to your intercooler to help cool things down, thought about tryingt his but the wife would kill me.

That's a nice thought but I am a naturally aspirated kinda guy! :cheers: