Help With Rear End Gear Choice

Hey guys,

I am looking for some input on which rear end gear I should go with. I am in the process of redoing the rear end, and this had been planned for sometime before I actually stripped a bunch of teeth off of my Richmond 4.10 gear (with an Eaton Posi), which happened a couple of weeks ago on the highway. Anyway, here is what I have:

- Winters Performance 3.08 Quick Change Rear End (Tubbed)

- Ford 10" 3.08 Ring and Pinion Gear

- Steel Full Spool

- Custom 35 Spline Steel Axles with 6 Lug Hubs

- Custom Steel Tubes

- 22 Spline Straight Cut Quick Change Gears

- Gear Ratios Adjustable from 1.84 to 5.11

- Calvert Racing CalTracs Traction Bars

- Rancho RS9000XL Series Adjustable Rear Shocks

- Solid Rear Suspension

- Mickey Thompson Classic Lock 16x12" Rims

- M&H Racemaster Street & Strip (D.O.T.) 33.0/15.50-16LT Tires

As you can see, it is a quick change rear end, I can change the gear ratio in a matter of 15 minutes. Obviously I will probably need to dial it in at the track, but to save myself some time, I was curious at what you all would recommend. I was thinking a 3.57 gear myself, as the 4.10 was previously too much for 32" street slicks (they were pretty hard rubber though). The only real thing that will change with this setup compared to the last time I was at the track are the slicks (softer and wider, pretty much the same height though), and then of course the gear choice. Other than that, all of the other factors are the same.

Any input would be appreciated!

Thanks for the replies,

Yeah, I've done some math already, my target is roughly 200 RPM before redline (6200 RPM). And I do not want to be in overdrive when I cross that line, so definitely third. Short of doing a 4.53, I won't be anywhere near redline crossing the line in third.

Edited by Professiona1 m0d (see edit history)

I dunno, most 2WD trucks here are running 29" slick with 3.73 gears and that seems to be the quickest combo :dunno:

Mr. P.

:withstupid: With stock 20" wheels and a 3.73 I trapped at 96.40 this past friday.....28" DRs are on their way to me now, I am expecting to be a bit quicker on those.

Riviera,

Thanks for your post about your run, that actually gave me some food for thought. Although now that brought up some questions for my setup, are you RWD, and do you spin much off the line?

yes rwd and still a little spin with 18psi...gonna try around 15 psi next time out.

Ah, thank you for the extra info Riviera!

My issue right now is pushing too much power for my suspension/tire setup. And now it's going to be worse with the bottle hooked up. I've been looking into a 4 Link along with back halving it to a full tub. I don't know what to do quite exactly. I am hoping the current suspension upgrades along with those meats will do the trick, but I am having doubts.

Edited by Professiona1 m0d (see edit history)