Gas Scooters?

nova72

Been throwing the idea around a lot lately. Gas is going to hit 4 bucks a gallon before ya know it, and I have to use high test just like everyone else here, so its almost there. But anyway, I only live 8 miles from work. The top legal speed limit is 45 mph from my house to work. So I have been thinking of getting one of those gas scooters. I've never ridden a bike before and not sure i could afford one. I don't just want to jump in and buy the first scooter i see. I'm trying to do research, and i know a few people on here have some good knowhow on these things. Of course easy to maintain, reliable etc. I know i have to look at PA's laws and such but it seems if it is 50ccs or less i don't need a M license. My concern is I'm about 220lbs. That thing isn't gonna get me moving in any timely fashion. So I'm just looking for some input to point me in the right direction, I'd say about 1200 tops not sure i even want to go that high, but then again I don't really know much about these things. Thanks

Ben

I don't know about the scooters out now but 20 years ago I had a Vespa out in Cali and weighing 200 and a 120 passenger, we were able to ride the freeways doing 55 to 60 mph. It was 200cc and a 2 stroke that had oil injection. I paid $1,200 new for it.

I only laid it down once going around a corner at slow speed due to a small patch of oil on the road. BAM! down in a heartbeat. No major damage though. I got up dusted off the gravel in the hands (had drivers gloves on thank God) and away I went. Them 10" tires didn't take much to lose traction.

It was fun while owning it but I like the Heavy Metal around my body as well as Tunes and the ability to stay dry on them rainy days LOL... But as you stated your only driving 8 miles to work. Do you or are you really going to save that much money considering the cost of the scooter. It might take you 10 years of not driving your SS to pay off the scooter as well as risking your life because people spend to much time on cell phones and iPods etc.. while driving to notice little things like scooters.

This is just an opinion on a past scooter owner.

Lets do the math for him and see if it really makes financial sense and where his break even point is...

16 miles per day with 22 work days per month on average right? Thats 352 miles per month to work and back.

Assume the SS gets 14mpg on premium fuel at 3.75/g. His monthly fuel bill should be $94/mo (352/14 = 25g/mo x 3.75 premium)

Now, if he gets a scooter at 80mpg...

His mothly fuel bill will be reduced to $15.4 (352/80 = 4.4g/mo x 3.50 regular)

His monthly savings would be $78.60/mo. If the scooter costs him $1,150 for scooter, tax, title, etc., his break even point would be 14.5 months.

So if he plans to continue to work longer than 14.6 months at his current job, it definetly makes sense for him to do. This is not even taking into account the severe depreciation by adding miles to the SS.

It makes financial sense ONLY if he is 100% certain to remain at this job longer than 14months. This also assumes he can ride teh scooter year round to work, if he cant, it will take him longer.

He also needs to take into account that he will have an asset to sell at the end of the 14 months, although it is a depreciating asset, he could sell the scooter for $500 possibly at that time. That would drastically reduce his recoup time.

Edited by Black2003SS (see edit history)

Maybe I need to consider one of these. My commute is roughly 100 miles per day. Chit it would pay for itself in a little over 2 months. :thumbs: But I'm sure I'd get the :loser: from all the guys at work on their 'Busas, Gixxers, or Hogs. :lol:

:flag:

For a commute that long, I would certainly recommend a larger more traditional "bike" or motor cycle. Alot of the 600cc class sport bikes get 40-50mpg's and even some the cruisers do as well. I'm looking for a used Honda CBR 600RR or Yamaha R6 for around $4k.

For a commute that long, I would certainly recommend a larger more traditional "bike" or motor cycle. Alot of the 600cc class sport bikes get 40-50mpg's and even some the cruisers do as well. I'm looking for a used Honda CBR 600RR or Yamaha R6 for around $4k.

Naww man I was J/K. I wouldn't mind picking up a R6 though, been thinking about that seriously. I was supposed to get a V-Rod about two years ago but the military car sales in Guam never put the order in :mad: I ended up getting back my deposit on that one. Back when I was in Germany I had a Hurricane 900, man I loved that thing, wish I would have never gotten rid of it.

:flag:

it may be cheaper in the long run on gas, insurance and maint. but how many days a year do you have bike weather? it must really bite riding in the rain when you left it was sunny, how much snow and cold below 50* every year?? some things to consider

:seeya:

I've owned two scooters in the past year. My work is about 10 miles from my home. My first scooter was a 50cc model. It was a blast to ride, only cost me $2.00 to fill up the tank, and it lasted about two weeks, give or take some depending on how much I used it (I didn't drive it in the rain, though you can). I decided I wanted to do some highways so I sold it and just bought a Suzuki Burgman 400. I haven't had to fill it yet (it came with a tank of gas), and I've only driven it four times now so I can't give you specs on mileage yet. Pros for the 50cc scoot are it's nimble easy to drive, gets great mileage, they're inexpensive ($1,500 and under), perfect for short commutes (30-40 speed limit. The scoot did 45 mph topped out), cheap to maintain and cheap gas money. Cons; Chinese scooter with cheaper parts, small tires, more difficult to see.

Pros with the 400cc; bigger tires (14 and 15"), more speed/power (I think the Burgie's speed is up to 75 or 80 on the highway), much better built/better name, tons of storage. Cons; much heavier (450lbs), costs more ($5,000+), costs a little more money for gas, but still not too bad.

You could go for the 50cc and have a blast driving to work, or move up to a 150cc which will give you more speed, or the 250, which will let you do some highways.