Trans Flush

ipyro24

Hey, I have a quick question. I work at a shop and can use the trans flush machine. I was wondering if the transmissions in these trucks don't like having their fluid changed. I have about 67,xxx miles on my truck 2wd 4l60e. When I had my BMW everyone said don't touch the fluid because it had over 100k and there is the possibility of the trans taking a crap after. I remember a while ago, we had a Transport Montana van, and the trans went out in that after gm serviced the transmission at 30k so I was just wondering what you guys thought about it.

Yah thats the only thing I'm worried about, my trans shifts fine right now, the fluid is just starting to get a little darker. What worries me is when I installed the vett servo, the old servo had deposits on the bottom of the old pieces.

I say leave it alone, I have the same truck as you flushed it at 48k started slipping a little, again at 88k and then it slipped alot, had to put in a bottle of trans-x and it's run ok but now at 113K it's toast, I don't dare pull a trailer or run it too hard cuz she's about to go south, just my 2 cents

It's hit and miss really, you could flush it and it will pop in 5k, or it will last another 60k. If the fluid is dirty or smells a bit burnt I say flush it, you have nothing to lose with the amount of miles that are on it. We had an Astro with a 4L60 at my office that had a BAD slip in the trans, bad enough to throw an SES light. The truck had 105k on it and the trans basically was shot. We had the trans flushed, the slip went away and the trans lasted until around 130k. Like I said, it's hit and miss. :chevy:

flushed the trans in my 97 Z28 with 89,XXX miles. less than 1 week later the trans was gone.

If you think theres any possible chance the bands are worn a lil, I'd leave it alone.. new oil with cause further issues IMO

flushed the trans in my 97 Z28 with 89,XXX miles. less than 1 week later the trans was gone.

If you think theres any possible chance the bands are worn a lil, I'd leave it alone.. new oil with cause further issues IMO

This doesn't add up to me why would a trans go bad after you change the fluid and flush it I have my trans flushedo nce a year I think it is worth it since it cost almost twice as much to fill the tank I don't skimp on mainteance, but why would it be bad?

This doesn't add up to me why would a trans go bad after you change the fluid and flush it I have my trans flushedo nce a year I think it is worth it since it cost almost twice as much to fill the tank I don't skimp on mainteance, but why would it be bad?

I think it has something to do with the transmission gods getting pissed, I've seen tranny failure worse in Ford transmissions than GM, on a ford if u try to flush it with over 30 get ready to replace it. GM has been more forgiving IMO but this last truck of mine has had me on pins and needles waiting for it to die.

Yah I will be useing the Wynn's trans flush. It has the cleaner, and then the "shudder guard" conditioner... I have done 2 or 3 GM suv's with over 100k and totally burnt fluid, with no issues. I just wanted to see what you guys opinion is. I think 9 times out of 10 the trans is fine. We just hear about the ones that die. I'm going to do it tomorrow, should i use valvaline (sp) fluid or Cheveron?

Here is some insight. Alot of people drain the tranny and the torque converter when they do a drain and flush. Then when the fluid is added they can not fill the torque converter because it's installed on the truck already. Thus leaving a period where the converter is running dry until the fluid reaches it.

Here is some insight. Alot of people drain the tranny and the torque converter when they do a drain and flush. Then when the fluid is added they can not fill the torque converter because it's installed on the truck already. Thus leaving a period where the converter is running dry until the fluid reaches it.

How the heck do you drain the converter without removing it? Doesn't make any sense. :wtf:

A trans flush in itself will not harm the transmission. Flushing it improperly, refilling improperly, or not installing the filter correctly can all lead to early failure and would be my guess as to why anyone's trans would fail directly after a flush (in addition to the trans possibly already being on the way out).

To me, an actual "flush" is uneeded with regular filter and fluid changes anyway. If the fluid is dark and/or showing metal flakes, the damage is done and you'll be band-aid fixing it until rebuild time at best.

How the heck do you drain the converter without removing it? Doesn't make any sense. :wtf:

A trans flush in itself will not harm the transmission. Flushing it improperly, refilling improperly, or not installing the filter correctly can all lead to early failure and would be my guess as to why anyone's trans would fail directly after a flush (in addition to the trans possibly already being on the way out).

To me, an actual "flush" is uneeded with regular filter and fluid changes anyway. If the fluid is dark and/or showing metal flakes, the damage is done and you'll be band-aid fixing it until rebuild time at best.

Somecar have inspection panel or plate that you can drain the torque converter. It usually at the 6 O'clock position make it impossible to refill.