Stolen Gas

SS Silv

I wonder how hard it would be to rig up one of the gas cap poppers from a vette so you can press a button and release it from inside the truck. Ive put em in before its pretty simple, just a solenoid and a cable thats like 3 feet long, Ill look and see- maybe I can do a writeup

The down side to that would be that they would use a pry bar to get the door open and you would be out the cash for the damage to the fender/paint which would be alot more expensive than the gas!

A really neat idea would be to rig up a shotgun to the filler door from inside the bed with a wire hooked to the trigger. When they pull the gas filler door open, boom! A load of 12 ga buckshot to the chest! :jester:

I'm kinda thinking that I might have been hit this week too. I filled up on Mon afternoon and had to fill up again this morning. Normally, I'm good for once a week. I haven't altered my commute or driving habits and the truck said it was averaging 15.4 mpg this morning. I haven't reset it since last week. Gas was $4.14 this morning.

We have tow truck driver's patrol our lot repeatedly overnight so I wouldn't put it past them. I've seen the way this company operates. I'm sure they know these motors need the good stuff.

Edited by KJT13 (see edit history)

Not to insult anyones intelligence but I did notice tha tyou said you bought gas yesterday ... then this moring you noticed you guage was reading 3/4 tank. Also I don't doubt someone stole gas from you.

There are a few tips for getting the most from your fill up.

Always buy your gas early in the morning ... cooler gas is more dense, all gas stations have their tanks in ground. As the day warms up the ground does too, therefore warming the gas inside the stations holding tank. The more dense a medium is the more molecules there are per given amount.

Another tip is to fill your tank at a slow rate. Slower reduces the amount of air that gets mixed with the fuel as you are dispensing. This is why sometimes the nozzle will shut off early, its sensing the back pressure from the fuel - air mix and thinks that the tank is nearly full.

One other tip to check that you are getting what you paid for is to pump exactly 10 gallons ... it should be exactly 10 X the price. If not the station has a bad pump, this can be a mechanical failure or a bad setting by the station owner. This is getting to be more and more frequent a problem. Station owners are setting the pumps "fast" to make a little more from unsuspecting coustomers.

:flag:

One other tip to check that you are getting what you paid for is to pump exactly 10 gallons ... it should be exactly 10 X the price. If not the station has a bad pump, this can be a mechanical failure or a bad setting by the station owner. This is getting to be more and more frequent a problem. Station owners are setting the pumps "fast" to make a little more from unsuspecting coustomers.

I've always paid attention to this, but do so more now than ever.

The down side to that would be that they would use a pry bar to get the door open and you would be out the cash for the damage to the fender/paint which would be alot more expensive than the gas!

Thats exactly what I thought of when I went out to look at it. It would be really easy to get the door popper in there and working, but its just a little plastic thing that pokes out, they could pop it off with a screwdriver and screw up your paint too.

They Locking Gas Caps at NAPA Auto Parts.

Well im sure other places got'em 2, but thats where I got mine a while back.

How do the people that steal the gas, out of ur car do it- without messing with the tank?

Like, how do they get it out from where the Cap goes? They suck it out? With what?

...im not trying to learn how to do it, just curious.

Oh, @ SS, are u really selling that beauty? Wow...

Edited by HoustonTexas (see edit history)

the only bad thing about a locking gas cap, is 95% of after market caps use only about 6 different key combinations. when i was driving the wrecker, i carried a double key looked like 2 keys end to end, and there was not one cap that i could not unlock..the only other would be to fab up some 3/16"+ plate and box in your fuel tank :D here gas has just gone up .26 per. gal in less than 4 days :cry::fume::mad::puke::banghead::M16::rant:

:seeya:

I'm glad I have a garage to park in. And at work the guy who runs the water treatment area has his eyes on the parking lot. Other then that I'm 95% in the SS. But I know it's still possible to happen in that 5%.

Sucks to hear that this happend and as mentioned, It's only going to get worse no matter what your driving it will be a target.