Need a little help here

Dylan06SS

I love my SS, but I don't think my kidneys can take another trip on the 10 freeway! All of the vehicles I have ever owned don't handle the 10 very well, but the SS has taken it the worst! Anyone who has driven the 10 in their SS can probably relate:

It starts as a slight vibration, then its like the truck is bouncing like a basketball :crazy: . The faster I go the worse it gets. I know the suspension is tuned for "sport", but how do I soften the ride slightly to compensate for California's undermaintained, concrete, kidney busting, freeways??? I know you guys have talked about tweaking the torsion bars . . . will that help my problem??? :confused: If so please explain how to do it! Like I said I'm a complete bonehead when it comes to suspensions.

Thanks in advance for the help! :D

I have the same problem. I am going to replace my shocks, but at the same time I will lower mine. I have messed with the tosion bars with minimal results. I still believe the shocks are to bouncy. I worked for a customizing shop for a few years and it was a common complaint with GM owner. we would us an aftermarket shock if the suspension was factory height. That is the way I am going....good luck

That "pogo" bounce comes from the rear leafs and is typical of truck suspensions when unloaded. Put 300 lbs of sand in the back of the bed and see how it rides.

Velvet ride shackles are supposed to help but I would think the way a sway bar mounts up that it would help some too. You could also change the rear leafs to something more forgiving and add air bags.

I love my SS, but I don't think my kidneys can take another trip on the 10 freeway! All of the vehicles I have ever owned don't handle the 10 very well, but the SS has taken it the worst! Anyone who has driven the 10 in their SS can probably relate:

It starts as a slight vibration, then its like the truck is bouncing like a basketball :crazy: . The faster I go the worse it gets. I know the suspension is tuned for "sport", but how do I soften the ride slightly to compensate for California's undermaintained, concrete, kidney busting, freeways??? I know you guys have talked about tweaking the torsion bars . . . will that help my problem??? :confused: If so please explain how to do it! Like I said I'm a complete bonehead when it comes to suspensions.

Thanks in advance for the help! :D

Yeah I know what your talking about, the 10 is sh%tty. The 91 is the same way too.

We've got a few miles or crappy road in Oklahoma also, and I don't notice it so bad in my 91 shortbed. Does the wheelbase have anything to do with it. Maybe I need to put the Edelbrock IAS shocks on my 91 on my SS!

We've got a few miles or crappy road in Oklahoma also, and I don't notice it so bad in my 91 shortbed. Does the wheelbase have anything to do with it. Maybe I need to put the Edelbrock IAS shocks on my 91 on my SS!

I would think wheelbase does affect. Just more leverage to bounce up when you think about it.

I would go with either the velvet rides or take off the overload spring and add airbags to compensate when you do have a load.

Archived