Thinking About Exhaust Options

texss

That's a deep dark question! The head pipes are 2 1/2" and both dump into a 3" single tailpipe. Flow calculation experts ( buddy at muffler shop) say they flow the same amount as dual 2 1/2" pipes would. The larger i.d. makes up for the lack of the second pipe, but it has to change the power curve at upper rpm's. I imagine the single tailpipe makes marginally more torque than the duals, but probably looses its advantage over 5000 rpm, where the more free flowing ability of duals would give it the edge.

Exhaust theory is crazy stuff. An extra 10 inches of collector volume dramatically changes the torque curve in header construction, so go figure.

On our motors, the variables are going to be small. This is still considered a low rpm engine geared more towards torque production. A drag car running over 7000 rpm is a different story, they need the hi flow systems. So basically, go with the system that fits your budget, and sound tastes. :cool:

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just spoke with Flowmaster today about a setup for our vehicle. I inquired about a true dual setup compared to the dual in dual out muffler. They said there would not be enough back pressure unless adding an H-pipe. The tech told me using the single muffler actually acts as the H-pipe to equalize the pressures. It sounds to me like using a true dual setup would look cool but would just be a bunch of money wasted that could be used on other mods.

Archived