Re-tune

CenWaSS

So I installed my re-tune this morning and my SS struggles to idle. When I start the SS it ildes fine, then after a few blasts and normal acceleration the SS idles at about 500rpms when I come to a stop. While cruising the SS runs/idles fine. I updated the tune to include TBTC, Zippy shift kit, 160 t-stat, and trans cooler. Am I missing something? Will the SS come around after a few more miles? Any ideas :confused:

So I installed my re-tune this morning and my SS struggles to idle. When I start the SS it ildes fine, then after a few blasts and normal acceleration the SS idles at about 500rpms when I come to a stop. While cruising the SS runs/idles fine. I updated the tune to include TBTC, Zippy shift kit, 160 t-stat, and trans cooler. Am I missing something? Will the SS come around after a few more miles? Any ideas :confused:

i dont think theres anything wrong, my SS idles at about 500????

-Rob

i dont think theres anything wrong, my SS idles at about 500????

-Rob

Really? Mine in gear would idle around 750 or so, now it struggles to maintain 500...a little over a little under like it wants to shut off but doesnt.

Give your re-tune time to learn, it can take a couple hundred miles for the PCM to fully get comfortable since it is constantly learning. :chevy:

FWIW, my SSS idles around 600, stock was around 550, but I had Charlie Wheatley bump the target idle up by 50rpm due to a rough idle.

Give your re-tune time to learn, it can take a couple hundred miles for the PCM to fully get comfortable since it is constantly learning. :chevy:

FWIW, my SSS idles around 600, stock was around 550, but I had Charlie Wheatley bump the target idle up by 50rpm due to a rough idle.

Thanks Fireman, I went and drove around for a bit and everything seems to be fine :cheers: Once warmed up in gear my SS idles just below 700rpm, nice and smooth idle with no studering. Thanks again!

idle changes dont take a few houndred miles..That should be almost instantaneous.....When I did my cam swap we played with the idle and it was instantly changed and still sitting at 850...

idle changes dont take a few houndred miles..That should be almost instantaneous.....When I did my cam swap we played with the idle and it was instantly changed and still sitting at 850...

I was referring to the general running condition of the truck with a new tune, for the most part they generally run like crap until they are driven a bit, giving the PCM a chance to learn.

Usually, when they won't idle after a retune, the culprit is a dirty throttle body. The ECM learns how to deal with a slowly carboning up throttle body, but when you throw a new tune at her she can't cope. The new tune expects no obstruction and tends to close the throttle too much to idle properly until it has time to adjust. Either clean throttle body or just give it time to learn.

I agree. A few times I've ran into idle issue's after tuning an etc vehicle and found the throttle body to be very dirty. Clean the throttle body around the blade and bore area and your problem will likely go away. Stock idle settings for an SSS are around 550 if I recall correctly.