Mr. Clean AutoDry Car Wash

I don't mind the sheeting action, that's the same thing Ben was talking about with the hose end removed, which does work by reducing the water beads. The thing I don't like is the feel of the paint after washing it with the AutoSelf Dry stuff. I don't know how to describe it, other than the surface isn't smooth feeling like when I use any other car wash. Plus, it turned my high dollar lambs wool wash mitt black and made it feel stiff and sticky. I washed it with Dawn and then in the washing machine with liquid detergent, and it still feels terrible.

The rinse aid in the soap (dry rinse polymer) is what makes the spot free deal work. It does not sheet water off without using their soap. I tried it with Zaino and it didn't work.

Plus, every time I set the darn thing down, the water filter door pops open and the filter shoots out. Bad design, bad product in my opinion.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
lee, what ever you do, please dont breed that bird

:D

A little "gratuity" sent through the mail would go a long way towards me seeing your side of the proposal, Bud.

Just a thought. :jester:

I used my Mr Clean car washing thing three times, and will never us it again. Like I noted in my other posting, my sponge ended up being black as the car, and I tried everything in the world to clean it, and nothing, I also got a nice turtle wax wash mitt and only got to use it that one time because after using it with the Mr Clean thing, its now ruined as well, and it has a strange feeling to it, and it seems stiff . I also had the filter door thing come off and the filter thing fell out, and I also had issues with the rubber filler cap poping off all the time. :sigh:

The Procter Gamble site has a division for Mr. Clean, and a contact e-mail address. I e-mailed them complaining about the exact problems of the filter door issue, and the soap stopper opening, etc... Told them about the messed up wash mitt and I wanted a refund.

They don't give refunds, instead the sent me coupons for another unit, free soap and filter refills, and a form apology from the Company. Sounds to me like this product is heading for the trash can. It's a neat concept, just poorly executed, and not worth the money or hassle!

I doubt they will be around in six months, I don't like to have to wait on them to dry my truck. I want it dry right then so I can go drive it! :wtf::shakehead:

I let mine air dry then go over it with detailing wipes from armoral all, think theyre called car wash wipes...but anyway...i wait for it to air dry then get rid of the water spots with the wipes. They work well to get rid of the light dust, or pollen between washes. :thumbs:

Do not use DISHWASHING liquid on any Car!!!!!!! Thats a big No No. It will do more than just strip wax. If you want less drying time take the hose with no nozzle just a lite steady stream of water and start at the top and let the water run down you vehicle cover the whole vehicle and Most of the water will run off. The leaf blowers a good Idea. I use compressed air to blow out all cracks and crevices. If you want to add alittle protection as you dry try Eagle One's Wax as you Dry it make the finish really smooth.

I use it for the filter only.... I haven't even opened the sample soap that comes with the unit! I like to hand wash my vehicles, but my water is so hard that it takes an hour to get the water spots off... but using the filtered water from this then drying it right away has really cut down my wash time...

The unit works fine with Zaino car wash, but it uses WAY too much soap, so I'd avoid it!

• 1 year later...

Bumping this thread up. I've done quite a lot of research on this product on line. I've been to at least a dozen car forums (Ferrari, Corvette, Mercedes), and found topics on this product. There were a lot of people happy with it and a lot not happy but for the most part, I found more happy people than not. Many of the unhappy people mentioned the black wash mitts/sponges and the "dry" feeling of their vehicle. As far as the dry feeling, I guess that's the polymer residue that's left behind (which causes the water sheeting effect), and does not strip the wax. As far as the "black mitts/sponges", that has been attributed to the amount of dirt taken off of the vehicle. The thing was, most of the guys complaining about it had black vehicles and though their paint was coming off. But I guess it happened to a few people who had silver, red, blue, etc. cars as well so it was attributed to the amount of dirt each vehicle had, otherwise there would be red, blue, etc. color on the mitts.

I myself have not tried it yet but I am going to this weekend (it's been too cold here). Last year I posted asking about another car wash soap that self dried. It is called Lustrelab. I didn't find that much info about it on any of the forums so I tried it and I have to say, it works very well, providing you wash the car clean (don't miss any spots). If you miss spots, you get that white film and then you have to go over that section again. I used the Lustrelab all last summer and it didn't take any paint or wax off my vehicle, and it did come out shiny and clean.

Anyway, I was just curious if any of you who tried the Mr. Clean system are still using it with good results and if anyone new has tried it.

Thanks!

I hand wash my SS about 80% of the time. I used the unit once to wash the truck and didn't like the effect it had on my hands or wash mitts. I use microfiber wash mitts about 20.00 each, and don't like them hard and black, which is what happens to them after the Auto Self Dry.

Even after machine washing the mitts, they are still black and stiff. Has to be a chemical reaction with the polymer soap.

I use Zaino's products exclusively, only wash in the shade and wipe off with micro fiber drying towels followed by a blast of warm air from the leaf blower and a rewipe with a small micro towel and the Zaino's shine enhancer .... works for me everytime.

Just My 2¢

:flag:

Bumping this thread up.  I've done quite a lot of research on this product on line.  I've been to at least a dozen car forums (Ferrari, Corvette, Mercedes), and found topics on this product.  There were a lot of people happy with it and a lot not happy but for the most part, I found more happy people than not.  Many of the unhappy people mentioned the black wash mitts/sponges and the "dry" feeling of their vehicle.  As far as the dry feeling, I guess that's the polymer residue that's left behind (which causes the water sheeting effect), and does not strip the wax.  As far as the "black mitts/sponges", that has been attributed to the amount of dirt taken off of the vehicle.  The thing was, most of the guys complaining about it had black vehicles and though their paint was coming off.  But I guess it happened to a few people who had silver, red, blue, etc. cars as well so it was attributed to the amount of dirt each vehicle had, otherwise there would be red, blue, etc. color on the mitts. 

I myself have not tried it yet but I am going to this weekend (it's been too cold here).  Last year I posted asking about another car wash soap that self dried.  It is called Lustrelab.  I didn't find that much info about it on any of the forums so I tried it and I have to say, it works very well, providing you wash the car clean (don't miss any spots).  If you miss spots, you get that white film and then you have to go over that section again.  I used the Lustrelab all last summer and it didn't take any paint or wax off my vehicle, and it did come out shiny and clean. 

Anyway, I was just curious if any of you who tried the Mr. Clean system are still using it with good results and if anyone new has tried it. 

Thanks!

I have found the perfect solution is to use Zaino car wash soap and sheepskin wash mit and rinse using the filtered water spray from the Mr. Clean AutoDry. I do not use the AutoDry soap because it leaves a residue and while I am sure it is harmless it shows bigger than Dallas against black paint. But the filtered/ionized spray is fantastic, NO SPOTS even with all the calcium here, a must-have :thumbs::thumbs:

Mr. P. :)

Archived