Do I need a new thermostat?

I see you've got a 172 stat deezel, which seems like a nice compromise. Where'd you get that?

That's just something I saw online somewhere... a way of distinguishing between aftermarket t-stats like hypertech and "free mod" t-stats. Basically, I did the BB mod on the thermostat from my 2000 ECSB 5.3L and swapped it with the stock one from the '03 SS. (It seems the stat from the '03 will not work with the BB mod. The '04 stats are also different than '03's...) The "BB mod" stat is really close to a 160* stat.

Hi,

Yes, you can run 1-2 or even more extra degrees of timing (depending on climate) with the 160 stat. It helps keep the engine (especially the heads) from heat soaking so bad so you can run more timing and make more power when the heads are cooler. I have seen a car/truck lose 10 HP on the dyno going from a coolant temp of 175-180 (this is where a vehicle with a 160 runs) to a 200-210 temp without any other changes.

I have run the 160 stat in my LT1 Impala SS for 7 or 8 years with no ill effects and had plenty of heat in the winter. I also run a 160 in my LS1 vette and even though I don't drive it in the winter, I have had it out when it was cold and it supplies plenty of heat.

Later,

Bryan

Archived