Do I need a new thermostat?

Ok, performance-guys! I'm adding the supermaxx system, corsa exhaust, volant, e-fans, PCM tune, and ASP pulleys to the SS. What, if any, advantage would I get to switching to a lower temp thermostat? I think the truck comes with a 195 F. one stock (please correct if this is wrong) and am unsure about whether to go lower. Any answers or opinions would be appreciated... also not entirely sure what temp to set the VSC for my e-fans.

Thanks.

Yes, get a thermostat. I've only heard of one person in an SS running too cool, lol. His truck never gets over 160, that's a good thing, but throws a code.

I'd say a 160, the cooler you can run the engine , the more timing, more timing is more power. Plus it helps to keep detonation down.

good luck,

allen

Thanks for the reply's guys. I spoke with Farmtruc on the phone this morning and he went over the advantages. Sounds like a good idea. I'm working third shift for a couple of months, so I was apparently a little groggy when I spoke to him, 'cause i forgot to mention that I live near Chicago and our winters often get BITTER cold. I wonder if the heater would still work alright with the reduced t-stat. Do you think it would make a difference, and also would it throw off my automatic climate controls? I have that option on my SS truck. (set it, and forget it!)

Opinions?

Yes, get a thermostat. I've only heard of one person in an SS running too cool, lol. His truck never gets over 160, that's a good thing, but throws a code.

I'd say a 160, the cooler you can run the engine , the more timing, more timing is more power. Plus it helps to keep detonation down.

good luck,

allen

At what temp do you think is too low. What about carbonization at too low of temp? What temp might we see problems?

that temp isn't too bad then, go with a 160 then, the stat isn't going to open until your engine reaches 160 anyway, so you should be fine. I believe closed loop for the pcm is around 140, so your engines coolant will get hot enough.

a cooler engine is a stronger engine. (to a point lol)

allen

If you are worried about your heater working properly or getting hot enough, just put some electric fans on there while your at it. Then you have much more control over the engine temps. Since there is no clutch fan running when you start up, the engine will heat up faster. Then, if needed, you can adjust the fan activation temperature to make sure you get enough heat in the cab.

:):thumbs:

• 4 weeks later...
If you are worried about your heater working properly or getting hot enough, just put some electric fans on there while your at it. Then you have much more control over the engine temps. Since there is no clutch fan running when you start up, the engine will heat up faster. Then, if needed, you can adjust the fan activation temperature to make sure you get enough heat in the cab.

:):thumbs:

I see you've got a 172 stat deezel, which seems like a nice compromise. Where'd you get that?

Archived