Help!

Aspentaylor

:mad: Hello to everyone again! I wish this was a good news thread. So anyone have this happen to them? I was driving down the road (nothing in the road) and my spare tire dislodged, flew into the median, across the other lanes of traffic and into the woods. Luckily there was no oncoming traffic. There is nothing left underneath my truck except a long black tube that is connected to the key hole. I am soooo pissed. Not even 52K miles. No warranty. What would you all do? I am going back tomorrow to attempt to find the tire. Anyone hear of this happening. All suggestions would be appreciated. Otherwise the SS is fine and is sporting brand new tires! :) well no spare....lol

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Holly Cow Taylor!, if it wasn't for bad luck you wouldn't have any luck at all with your SS! As far as my spare coming off or me even hearing of one coming off, I have not heard of that happening. Have you ever had your spare off before, if so maybe it wasn't put back up properly?

I hear your pain. Way back when I had my s-10 dumped. my spare tire came loose and got caught between the raod and the bed of the truck. All I remember was feeling the ass end lift into the air and hearing a loud boom as the tire got ripped off the cable. I remember looking in my rear view and watching the spare roll down the road. I had to lmao. try looking in the for sale section or craigslist for the hole assy. I have seen them up for sale every once in a while.

I just took my spare tire assembly off in preparation for the rollpan... It's in perfect conditon.

PM if you're looking for a replacement. I can't offer you the tire, but the winch at least is yours if you need one.

Damb Aspen ... That truck has caused you nothing but a headache ...

Haven't heard of it happening before. But who knows, anything is possible nowadays.

I just took my spare tire assembly off in preparation for the rollpan... PM if you're looking for a replacement.

Nice way to step up Alex ... :thumbs:

Edited by Stitches040 (see edit history)

This is a common problem with the crap design of the GM spare tire hoist. I had the spare fall off my 2001 S-10 in my driveway!

I recommend that every GM pickup owner on this forum lower their spare and inspect the cable.

I believe a new hoist for the S-10 cost me around 80 bucks.

Thanks guys. I have no idea what is missing. When I find out-Rausche I will PM you. Everything is from the factory. After my two Chevys die I think I am moving on. My Equinox has been nothing but a pain in the ass too. The stabilitrak keeps coming on. I fix it. Then it comes on again. And of course every code is not connected. Buttheads. BMW here I come....they need to make a truck. lol

This is a common problem with the crap design of the GM spare tire hoist. I had the spare fall off my 2001 S-10 in my driveway!

I recommend that every GM pickup owner on this forum lower their spare and inspect the cable.

I believe a new hoist for the S-10 cost me around 80 bucks.

I've had 4 Chevys now that have had this spare tire hoist and never had an issue. Each of them has gone over 90k miles and I live in a high winter road salt area.

That being said, I agree that this should be one more thing to keep an eye on where there have been others with the same issue. Thanks for the heads up everyone!!

Taylor, sorry to hear these problems just won't stop and go away!! Glad to hear that no one was hurt though! That must have freaked you out. Nice to see you back around. Just wish it was under better circumstances.

I had the opposite problem, there is a "device" (detailed in the Owners Manual) that locks the Tire in the up position. you have to wind the cable up tight, to release the catch, then the tire will drop down. If it doesn't then you put the jack under on top of the wheel stops, to push up and release the lock (see the manual). long story short, the idiots at a tire shop couldn't figure it out one day, till I showed them the manual. So it's completely amazing to me how you lost a spare.....

I had the opposite problem, there is a "device" (detailed in the Owners Manual) that locks the Tire in the up position. you have to wind the cable up tight, to release the catch, then the tire will drop down. If it doesn't then you put the jack under on top of the wheel stops, to push up and release the lock (see the manual). long story short, the idiots at a tire shop couldn't figure it out one day, till I showed them the manual. So it's completely amazing to me how you lost a spare.....

People are dumb! I figured out how to take it off and put it on my truck. The shop was the ones who put the spare back. I am not sure who to blame this on....going to look for my spare now.