Got My New 3800 Tcs Converter In

Over the long weekend i dropped the trans outta the SS and took the PI 3000(more like 2600 flash) out and swapped in a 3800 TCS converter. I bought the converter used from Chase and let it sit for like 6 months before putting it in. I did send it back to TCS to be restalled though so thats my excuse for letting it sit so long....I have to let it break in for like 250 miles before i beat on it but i just had to test the stall to see if they hit their mark, and WOW. I can brake stall to 3800 and the launch is great. I tried it in my driveway and left 15 foot long marks on a 3800 launch. Better then the 2200 brake stall on my PI

I drove it on the highway and around town to see how this high of stall acts, and it kinda sucks for city driving, liveable but not good. lite driving still revs to 2500-3000 before shifting, and when it comes out of lock up you know it. Lock up is weak compared to the PI but i knew that going from the PI 3 lock up disks. I don't know why but the truck seems to shift weaker to, didn't expect that. With my tru-cool my temps still didn't go above 160 with the little bit of non lock up city driving. On the highway the temps are around 135.

I'm not sure how the life of the converter is going to be compared to the PI. I've got around 15000 miles on the PI with no problems, but this is going to slip like hell all the time so i would think I'm going to burn it out faster.

I can't wait to try her out at the track and see what 60 foot i can pull now! Hopefully I'll have the rest of the work done for the SS meet at great lakes in about a month.

Brad

glad to hear its working good for you , i cut my best 60fts with the verter and have yet to find them again. i have a tcs in my truck again( different tcs however) and im restalling mine again .

before the last restall thats about what i had mine stalled to and i could flasg it to almost 5k . put it this way in 1st gear i was at 6k rpms @ 16 mph. lol so im tryiing to get a stall that brake stall at exactly 3000 maybe a hair higher. its just hard to make a stall not flash so high when you start off with about 400 ftlbs of torque with no boost and no nitrous @ 3000 to having 1000ftlbs @ 5000 with 15 psi and 125+ shot of nitrous

good luck with it and get these dam brakes!! :cheers:

Looks like i might go to the track as soon as friday, I'm really wondering how much it helped. I kicked some codes today but every time i reset them the trans went back to normal. One said the 1-2 soliniod was stuck open and the other was like p0502 which i still have to look up but it locked the trans in 1st gear only. Are there some sensors for rpm in and rpm out that might be going nuts because of the slipping?

Why the diff TCS brand this time? pain deaing with the TCS in Canada?

Thanks guys

Brad

Looks like i might go to the track as soon as friday, I'm really wondering how much it helped. I kicked some codes today but every time i reset them the trans went back to normal. One said the 1-2 soliniod was stuck open and the other was like p0502 which i still have to look up but it locked the trans in 1st gear only. Are there some sensors for rpm in and rpm out that might be going nuts because of the slipping?

Why the diff TCS brand this time? pain deaing with the TCS in Canada?

Thanks guys

Brad

just two unrelated companies with the same name.

just two unrelated companies with the same name.

I figured that out the hard way, i sent it the other one and then read the packing slip you left on the box with the adress for Canada...had to stop it half way there, have it sent back to me, then forward it to canada.

Just went for a ride in a friends 11.44 cyclone and got to talking to him about converter stuff. He's truck locks the converter once it goes over 70, and it got me thinking. I've never noticed my truck lock up down the track, has anyone tried locking the converter once it hits 3rd gear at WOT? Is there any gains to locking it up or is it faster to let the converter slip?

Brad

Just went for a ride in a friends 11.44 cyclone and got to talking to him about converter stuff. He's truck locks the converter once it goes over 70, and it got me thinking. I've never noticed my truck lock up down the track, has anyone tried locking the converter once it hits 3rd gear at WOT? Is there any gains to locking it up or is it faster to let the converter slip?

Brad

yes its common, you can gain a tenth or so with doing this at the right moment but for an accurate lockup point you need to get it on a dyno and do a pull with it locked and unlocked and see where the tq curve crosses and that will tell you where to lock it.

3800? jeez man, aint that a lil big for the street. good luck getting it setup and i hope you bust one hell of a 60' time

Yeah......it sounded like a good idea at the time.....but..um.....sure sucks in city driving. But i have a goal and if this gets me there then its worth it. And for the first time my dad let me launch the truck with him in it and seeing him fly back in the seat and laying down rubber with all 4 tires and then seeing his smile......makes it all worth it.

Thanks Chase! I don't think i'll be able to get to a dyno so i might just have zippy lock it as soon as third gear hits, and see what the et shows.

Brad

Yeah......it sounded like a good idea at the time.....but..um.....sure sucks in city driving. But i have a goal and if this gets me there then its worth it. And for the first time my dad let me launch the truck with him in it and seeing him fly back in the seat and laying down rubber with all 4 tires and then seeing his smile......makes it all worth it.

Thanks Chase! I don't think i'll be able to get to a dyno so i might just have zippy lock it as soon as third gear hits, and see what the et shows.

Brad

FWIW my converter settings are: locked in third at 115mph/4600 rpm per dyno graph

I still might not hit that rpm in the quarter, but it might work out for a highway race. I've been driving this thing everyday now(from gas station to gas station) and it feels realy loose but zippy when you get to town you can take her and see what you think.

Brad

FWIW my converter settings are: locked in third at 115mph/4600 rpm per dyno graph

do you ever hit lock up in a race then? I cross the lights around 100 at around 5500 in 3rd if i remember right so id have to lock it around 80-85 when 3rd gear hits or it sounds like it wouldn't be worth it.

Thanks

Mine locks @ 105mph/4500-4600rpm WOT 3rd gear, never gets to lock up at the track, I trap around 96mph(4300-4400 in 3rd) on street tires. :chevy: