XM Radio??

jhbar

What kind of radio do you have installed in the SS now ????

If it is the one with the 6 in dash cd player it has xm built in ( press the band /cd aux button) Also it should have a black plastic antenna above the passenger side sunvisor on the roof.

You might just need the antenna insatalled .

If not It might be better to purchse the xm reciever from xm radio.com so you pop it out and use in your home, office or wherever. for every radio you pay extra $$$$$$ :confused:

I have the 6 disc in dash, but no XM antenna. I would like to believe that GM has an XM receiver that just plugs in and requires an XM antenna. I'm sure someone on this board knows the secret. I will be stopping by the dealer next week to do some research, regardless.

To add XM to the factory radio, in addition to the antenna, you need the XM module from General Motors. Currently, it is a restricted item, unable to be sold by normal channels. It is typically located behind the glove box.

There are other methods, but to get the OEM radio to display XM info would require some really convoluted adapter set ups. I read of an adapter that will do that, but cannot find it now. But, from what I recall, it wasn't really a simple plug 'n play hookup.

The easier way would be use an adapter that broadcasts the XM info on an FM channel. I did this for over a year and the results were quite good. A control/display adapter is included, along with an easy to hook FM modulator that goes in via your antenna cable.

Another way would be to replace the OEM radio, which I did a few months back. With decent adapters, you can keep your warning chimes and have a very nice aftermarket radio. This is really the method I would recommend. You would also get a superior display over the OEM XM display.

As far as I know, if you have the antenna, you have the XM radio too.  Can you listen to the XM preview channels?

Absolutely!!! I think he indeed has XM. Just needs to get to the PREVIEW channel. Just $10/mo and he is in.

EDIT: Oh, wait. That comment is for NastyBlack, not jhbar. Sorry, I jumped in without thinking.

There are other methods, but to get the OEM radio to display XM info would require some really convoluted adapter set ups. I read of an adapter that will do that, but cannot find it now. But, from what I recall, it wasn't really a simple plug 'n play hookup.

Check out the link in my post above. My Kenwood Sirius set-up, when installed, will display all info on the factroy radio. :thumbs:

Archived