I am getting the Comp Cam installed tomorrow

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I have been scholled in the BigTex school of cam installs. :D He will tell you the same, I'm sure. Anyway, two tools. The cheap $7 NAPA, or whoever's, lever-type to get the springs out and the screw down clamp type for the spring going on. It's a pretty good method.

Tbyrne sells a really good spring tool, screw down type. It also comes with the air fittings to compress the cylinders from the spark plug hole to keep the valves from falling down.

Pick another shop, they don't know what they're doing, or they are blowing smoke up your @ss. Or both.

If you want to know what has to be done to be smart on it yourself got to LS1 How-to .com and read the cam swap article. Nearly all applies to our truck as well.

I had them call comp cams and they told "the dealership" otherwise.

The dealer said they will try the no head romoval but if a lifter drops....they'll have to remove them......Oh and "sir there is no special tool for this" I was told :fume:

I had them call comp cams and they told "the dealership" otherwise.

The dealer said they will try the no head romoval but if a lifter drops....they'll have to remove them......Oh and "sir there is no special tool for this" I was told :fume:

Do you mean "If a valve drops?" You pull the lifters out before you pull the cam out. No chance of the lifters going anywhere.

No, he meant lifters. The lifters can fall down, once the cam is removed. Yes, there is a tool for this. You can also hold up those lifters using the pen magnet method mentioned in that article on my previous post. The valves can fall down also, but most use either the pressurized cylinder method, or the top dead center method.

Archived