Cam #2

Well I decided to start putting in the new cam tonight. I sure have this system down that's for sure. Got the whole thing torn down and the new cam in and it took me about 2 1/2 hours. I started to take the oil pan down so I could put on my double roller and it didn't want to cooperate with me so I called it a night. Nothing really wrong, I just didn't feel like dealing with it. So tommorrow night I will get the double roller on and get it all buttoned back up. Oh, and yes Ben and Richard, I will make sure the dots are lined up. :lol:

I was going to remind you of that one. ;)

Are you going with the rollermaster? As long as you install it straight up, its easy. The poor instructions make advancing the cam a little interesting. Also, make sure you put the spacer on the correct way. Its possible to install it upside down, and you'll have very low oil pressure.

Yep, got the Rollmaster.

I will make a note on the spacer. Of course the instructions don;t say which way is the right way. You got any tricks for getting that oil pan to pop free? It's on there pretty good.

Just pry it apart. The gasket is an aluminum ring with a thick rubber bead around it. The rubber bonds with the block and is hart to pull it apart. I think the gasket is rivited to the pan, so it needs to stay with the pan.

Lay the spacer up on the block to check it once you get eveything out of the way, just to see which way it lays. Its the one on the right and the one with the hole. Once you know which way it has to go, use a sharpee to mark the outside top edge, and as long as you have that marked edge looking up at you, you'll be okay.

On the oil pan, just go ahead and take out the first 6 or so bolts all the way out up front. Then loosen all the others almost until they look like they are going to fall out. Don't forget about the ones back by the transmission housing. There are two large ones that need to come all the way out - they are big enough to keep the entire pan from moving at all. Also loosen the plastic covers on each side of the motor by the transmission. Then do like Richard said and pry it free. Take a small screwdriver (short handle) and stick it in the gap along the pan in a couple of spots and twist the screwdriver. This will get the max gap all the way down. I only needed about 3/4 of an inch drop - maybe. You only need enough to get your hands on the pickup tube.

Shove a small rag in the pan enough to where if you drop the bolt for the pickup tube in there, you can easily get out with a magnet. I didn't do that, but it sure makes since to do. I didn't have any problems at all with that tiny bolt - surprisingly. Don't forget to align and snug that tube up to the pump, before you bolt down the pump to the block. Life will be much easier if you do. That pickup tube should go up ther easily and not forced. There is a point where it will almost fly up in there - you'll know what I mean when it happens. The point is if you need the bolt to help you get the tube in the hole - then back it out and do it again. Leaving the oil pump unbolted will allow it to spin some. If it is forced, chances are you may have pinched the o-ring. I know you know that. Not good.

Have fun!

I got the double roller on and got the truck all buttoned back up this afternoon. She runs great. There is definately in increase in the mid to high power band and no loss at all down low. Doesn't sound much different. All I did was go higher lift (522/529 to 558/563) and LSA went from 114 to 115, no change in duration.

Let me tell you once you have done a few of these it is really gets alot easier and faster. You remember all the little tricks and work arounds that you had to figure out the first time. Not to mention you lose about 3 hours of time not having to change springs. :smash:

I even got the dots lined up right the FIRST time :D

Hey slim,

I sent you a PM but didn't hear back from you, I wanted to know where you got the chain and how much the timing chain was, and is this the best chain out for our trucks. Also if you were intersted in selling your cam you took out. PM or e-mail me.

Thanks

SuperSport,

I got your PM, sorry I haven't gotten back to you. I got the chain from Texas Speed and Performance. Its a rollmaster. As far as what is the best chain for our trucks, not sure about that one. The cam may be available soon. I promised a buddy first crack at it and if he ends up not getting it I will shoot you a PM.

Ben,

I left the stock oil pump in. Damn that tube was a pain in the butt. The secret with it was to be gentle and let it do all the work. That bolt was hard to get to though, I never could get the pan to drop down very much. Something on the drivers side in front was stopping it from dropping.

Archived