flowmaster

But has been posted before, our dual in - dual out is blocked on one of the out pipes.

that is true, but it's only blocked INSIDE the muffler. the dual outlets are true duals.

as far as flowmaster goes, i just got off the phone with them (because i wanted to make sure I have the right setup) i will repeat, the only muffler recommended by flowmaster for SSS is the 50 series big block dual in dual out. the 90 degree thing was just HDs because they are different than ours. this info is straight from flowmaster tech support (1-800-544-4761). hopefully this will help you in deciding which muffler to buy. personally i am extremely satified with mine. not too loud, not really any droning, but you know it's there when you get on it. good luck.

i got mine in NOVEMBER.  so unless they've changed since then, the one i have IS the one recommended by flowmaster. i don't understand why you would get a dual in single out when our exhaust system is dual in dual out.  :confused: perhaps some pics would help explain this "90 degree piece" that i don't understand either. the only way i can see it is that they cut the stock piece past where they meet up. i don't know, seems like unnecessary modifying when you can get one that will slide right in :confused:

just to set the record straight, the part number michael shows is the one I have and there is no resonance on my truck. This is the 3rd exhaust system I have had on the truck as some of the long timers can attest to my complaining about the resonance and Nelson can attest to the tuning nightmares of 3" exhaust on these trucks.

This muffler has dual in 2.75" that mate up to the stock pipes and a single 3.5" with a 90deg bend that gets rid of the need for the stock dual 2.75" that goes to a single 3" then opens to 3.5" up the axle. So the muffler shop, cuts mid way up the axle pipe and in front of the stock muffler and this one slides right in. Very cool.

BTW, my 3rd muffler shop which is the one that did this install, said that one of the causes of resonance is in the distance between the muffler and the underside of the truck... They tucked mine up in there tightly. :thumbs:

I am very pleased.

I went with two 40 series single in single out 2.75" mounted vertical side by side. There is substansial resonance but mainly on the passanger side, the drivers seat is not bad. They sound awesome on the outside and really gives the truck the power sound. The 50 series have alot less resonance but there also a fair amount quiter on the outside. Just an option, I'm very happy with mine.

as far as flowmaster goes, i just got off the phone with them (because i wanted to make sure I have the right setup) i will repeat, the only muffler recommended by flowmaster for SSS is the 50 series big block dual in dual out.

Not saying that a Flowmaster rep did not say this, but it is the EXACT opposite of what they told me in December. They recommended the dual-in, single 3.5" out discussed above. When I told the tech I wanted duals, he told me that I was looking for trouble and would have nothing but noise. He also told me that it could not be done without throwing codes.

I went with the 530504 (dual-in/out) anyway, and I have lots of noise, just like he promised, but no codes. Anyway, I don't think ANY dual system is "recommended," it's merely an option if you can deal with LOTS of noise, and must have duals.

i got mine in NOVEMBER.  so unless they've changed since then, the one i have IS the one recommended by flowmaster. i don't understand why you would get a dual in single out when our exhaust system is dual in dual out.  :confused: perhaps some pics would help explain this "90 degree piece" that i don't understand either. the only way i can see it is that they cut the stock piece past where they meet up. i don't know, seems like unnecessary modifying when you can get one that will slide right in :confused:

just to set the record straight, the part number michael shows is the one I have and there is no resonance on my truck. This is the 3rd exhaust system I have had on the truck as some of the long timers can attest to my complaining about the resonance and Nelson can attest to the tuning nightmares of 3" exhaust on these trucks.

This muffler has dual in 2.75" that mate up to the stock pipes and a single 3.5" with a 90deg bend that gets rid of the need for the stock dual 2.75" that goes to a single 3" then opens to 3.5" up the axle. So the muffler shop, cuts mid way up the axle pipe and in front of the stock muffler and this one slides right in. Very cool.

BTW, my 3rd muffler shop which is the one that did this install, said that one of the causes of resonance is in the distance between the muffler and the underside of the truck... They tucked mine up in there tightly. :thumbs:

I am very pleased.

I am thinking seriously about buying this muffler. I also hate resonance. Do you have any pics of the install? I understand what you are saying but would like to see how it was done.

as far as flowmaster goes, i just got off the phone with them (because i wanted to make sure I have the right setup) i will repeat, the only muffler recommended by flowmaster for SSS is the 50 series big block dual in dual out.

Not saying that a Flowmaster rep did not say this, but it is the EXACT opposite of what they told me in December. They recommended the dual-in, single 3.5" out discussed above. When I told the tech I wanted duals, he told me that I was looking for trouble and would have nothing but noise. He also told me that it could not be done without throwing codes.

I went with the 530504 (dual-in/out) anyway, and I have lots of noise, just like he promised, but no codes. Anyway, I don't think ANY dual system is "recommended," it's merely an option if you can deal with LOTS of noise, and must have duals.

the dual in single out setup is for the HD, bottom line. it will work on ours because that's basically what it is. and it's not a matter of what you want (dual or single out) the post was started asking for a direct replacement of the stock muffler. our stock muffler is dual in dual out and therefore that's what flowmaster recommends. it's pretty simple. why is this turning into a pissing contest? i'm not accusing anyone of being wrong, just trying to help someone that wanted a stock replacement. the rep i spoke to yesterday said the reason they issued the bulletin was BECAUSE of the resonance with other series so the bulletin stated that the 50 series was the one to be used. i don't understand how a muffler can throw codes but who knows with all the technology now.

i guess the amount of noise is truly subjective because you can barely tell i have a flowmaster except when i'm in it, and i have had several people ask/tell me that. and as far as recommending mufflers, i'm not a flowmaster rep, i'm just repeating what they told me and i wouldn't have spent $150 on a muffler if it wasn't what they recommended. to each his own.

here are a few pics of my set up. this muffler is a 50 series big block. i drive the ss all over the country and at different speeds and the cab noise is very low. i am very happy with it and i recomend this set up to any one.

48763342.jpg

48763357.jpg

48763352.jpg

48763324.jpg

48763336.jpg

why is this turning into a pissing contest? i'm not accusing anyone of being wrong

no one is getting pissed except you and yes you have told people that they were wrong

why is this turning into a pissing contest? i'm not accusing anyone of being wrong

no one is getting pissed except you and yes you have told people that they were wrong

:confused: i didn't say anyone is pissed, it just keeps going back and forth. and trust me, i'm not pissed, all i'm doing is relaying what flowmaster told me. i'm happy for those of you happy with your setup; however, i wanted the direct replacement also when i bought the SS and i'm just helping someone in making an informed decision who wants the same thing.

and i looked through the whole thread, i didn't say anyone was wrong, just the facts. i guess that's not allowed anymore. :confused:

Archived