How Do I Quiet Down

detjoe

I finally got my converter and its down side is the truck is constantly in the power and LOUD! I was thinking about putting my stock cat back back on the truck?? How much time do you thoink I would lose having the stock stuff on there??? Or I could try to find a touring muffler??? any other (cheap) Ideas??? I dont want to lose time but its real loud:)

I know where you are coming from, raspy and just obnoxious, my Magnacharged 1500HD (LQ4, OBX, Corsa Sport) was exactly the same way until I installed a 3" Magnaflow (6" round, 18" long) in front of the corsa sport muffler. It's perfect for me, maybe too tame for some, but I love it and get copmliments on the sound all the time. You could go with a smaller case or shorter length magnaflow and increase the sound level and still keep the rapping under control IMO.

For my setup, I used the OBX set for the 5.3. It's got the same headers as the 6.0, just has a Y-pipe instead of the dual exit midpipes. I ran that though a 3" cutout, 3" magnaflow, the 3" Corsa Sport side exit. Best thing is still having no drone/resonance at any speed! Gotta love the Corsa, but I've got a different plan cooking for my SS..... 4"...... Hoping to need pretty serious flow potential 1st quarter next year.

highflow cats are only dyno'd at like a 3hp increase.

u might as well take out your back seat during track times to get back the seconds (mili)

i thought about doin highflow cats but for the money it was not my cup of tea.

although the sound would be nice.

how would taking cats out, cause more back pressure....?

i had that same setup, but with the dynatechs... it was noisey as hell, i can only imagine with a stall like that. my best advice would be with what bigcountry said, its the cheapest/best way to quiet down your system. also, any magnaflow muffler you install isnt going to hurt flow for many many horsies. ANNNND putting your stock cat-back on isnt going to loose you any "time", it isnt very restrictive (unless your realllllly pushing the air). it will be MUCH quieter than what you have now and is best of all, free :D i actually did that for a few weeks back when i was running my 1st motor, dyno showed no more than a flux of 5 hp which coulda been from anything (air temp, humidity, IAT, etc etc)

how would taking cats out, cause more back pressure....?

i had that same setup, but with the dynatechs... it was noisey as hell, i can only imagine with a stall like that. my best advice would be with what bigcountry said, its the cheapest/best way to quiet down your system. also, any magnaflow muffler you install isnt going to hurt flow for many many horsies. ANNNND putting your stock cat-back on isnt going to loose you any "time", it isnt very restrictive (unless your realllllly pushing the air). it will be MUCH quieter than what you have now and is best of all, free :D i actually did that for a few weeks back when i was running my 1st motor, dyno showed no more than a flux of 5 hp which coulda been from anything (air temp, humidity, IAT, etc etc)

yep, gonna put it back on sunday and see if it quiets down and I'll run it like that at the track and see if I need to keep it. I like the sleeper idea if 'just' a ss :)

yep, gonna put it back on sunday and see if it quiets down and I'll run it like that at the track and see if I need to keep it. I like the sleeper idea if 'just' a ss :)

yea i was completely stock outside, other than the 22"s when i did that exhuast. it was great, no one had any idea what just happened :lol: oh, i forgot to mention- i was making about 480 whp on that stock exhaust, LTs, and no cats. thats a good amount of CFMs if you ask me :D

straight pipes = backpressure.

so having deleted cats would make more flow than normal.

but ionno for a complete fact. just seems like a reasonable conclusion.

but how do you guys deal with inspection with deleted cats?

do you just swap em out everytime?

cuz i'm guessin that you just bolted the straight pip in?

no checks here in MI, but there are some bulgy things in there:)

I remember seeing the inside of a stock exhaust and its just a few baffles...pretty big and stright, how much power could it gain vs extra noise??? Knowing the stuff I do know about dyno testing and selling stuff I dont buy any of it...I am running a stock air box too:devil: