Installed Billet Servo's now have a clunk?

I installed a set of the Superior Billet servo's tonight for a friend on here.

We took it for a test drive after the install and the truck shifted great and everything seemed fine. I am kinda bumbed, did the same servo's in my Sierra Denali and all is good. Do the install for a friend and I guess I must have done something wrong this time. He called me when he got home and said the truck now clunks when he gets down to about 10 mph or so, Any Ideas on what I might have done wrong with this install? Need to get this worked out right away so not to harm anything. I might just put the factory servo's back in if I can't figure out what might have gone wrong.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Bill-03-SD

is he running any different programming? is this happening with the shifter in D or another range? it sounds as if the trans is downshifting with the over-run clutches engaged which can make a clunk on downshift. it could just be a programming issue. never had that problem on one before except when you were downshifting it yourself or the downshifts even off the throttle come in with the over-run clutches on at a higher rpm. try at a slower speed manually downshifting yours bill to see if it feels the same as his.

Zippy,

He has stock programming, he said he was going to take it for a drive this morning and see how it went.

The only thing I can think of that might have gone wrong is the split ring seal on the first servo could have rolled out of the groove? Would that make what he is feeling act like that? We were talking durring the install quite a bit and after we had it all together I noticed I forgot one of the washers. So we took it back apart and put it in and then back together, Maybe moving everything back and fourth and tipping the rod to get the last couple servo's off and back on could have rolled the split seal out of the groove. I have been racking my brain to try to think of what I might have done wrong, but I guess when we get it back apart again we will see whats up. If not the stock ones will be going back in for now.

I will try what you said with my truck and thanks all your help and thoughts. :cheers:

Bill-03-SD

Hey Zipp, I am the one with the problem. I dont really know if it is just the transmission down shifting to first when I am not on the gas. It is fine in every other aspect, shifts great up and down. I really didnt notice it untill I had to finally stop at a stop light coming from Bill's last night. I got down to around 10 mph or so and it feels like a shift, but just doesnt seem like it should be shifting then. I have no throtle my foot is on the brake and the engine is idleling. Any help would be great, and if not, like Bill unfortunatley said I will be going back to stock to see the problem is solved and hopefully if there is any damage they will still cover it under warrenty.

i wouldn't expect there to be any damage. it would certainly be a good idea to check the seals in it like bill said. if you did have any problems with it, after putting the stock servo back in it, the dealer wouldn't have a clue that you'd even had the servo out unless you told them. no worries.

Hey Zip, I really just think its the firmer down shift being more noticeable than before. The stock ones are so soft you cant tell the 2-1 shift, but with the billets it is noticeable. I am also thinking that maybe after driving it and a brake in period it will get a little better. If I do want to go back to stock, do you have a diagram of how the parts go back together? Thanks Zip.

C.K.

you'll most certainly feel have more feel on every down and up shift more with the servo change. going back to stock is no problem, i can get all of the instructions needed with no problem. i'd say drive it for a bit though and see if it get smoother before you pull it. not sure if any other ss owners have noticed this. there a a few with the billets.

I talked to another guy with them and he said he wouldnt go any other way and Bill has no problem, I think I am just worried about the warrenty thing. Thanks for you help Zip and might try and get a copy of the instructions for you just to have, if you dont mind.

Bill, I havent really driven it much, I got the fluid level right in it friday and then we went to Boston yesterday. I might go out and play today and maybe run the Grand Prix GT that was hanging with me because of my crappy shifts. I will fill you in later and take you for a ride sometime this week and if not, you'll see the great shifts as your looking at my tail lights at the track!!LOL!!

Or maybe we might just be door to door the hole way down, only time will tell and friday is coming quick!! Kristin road in the truck today, I finally got her into it and guess what! She said that she has felt it down shift there before, just not as noticable. The 1-2 shift did suprise her though!!!! I think everything is fine and maybe this week I can stop by and compare them with another ride in the Denali.

Archived