This Front Diff Is The Devil

I have read every post on this front diff noise till i'm blue in the face and I am still baffled. My truck is in the shop for the 4th time. Carrier bearing, pinion bearing, hub bearings have all been replaced under warranty. Today they installed a new viscous coupler bearing in it and it is still making the growling when I turn left or right. They are out of ideas, but are not giving up. Anyone have any suggestions where I could point them for ideas? I have had a Cobalt for 20 days and I hate it!!! Thanks guys

Just for the record I've had my truck for 2 yrs and it has made that growing noise when you turn to the left or right since I've had it. I even had my front-end rebuild in April this year (seals leaking) and internal parts and it still does it. I just chalk it up for something thats going to be there.

The diff unit in the IFS does make some noise when turning right or left. This sound is normal. What you are hearing is the spider gears working inside of the carrier unit. When turning to the right the left front tire is rotating faster than the right tire. The spider gears inside the unit are allowing for the differential (hence the name diff) in speed. Now most open style diffs are quiet, but for some reason these IFS units make some noise. The noise that you hear sounds very much like a posi rear diff unit that uses clutches (with spring pressure). Now if you are going straight, and you hear noise you have a problem. :thumbs:

I will add a little more that I forgot. There was chunks of metal in the front diff, a ton of shavings on the magnet, and it vibrated at about 75-80, but quit when I let off the gas. I guess I will just be happy that I am getting so many new parts under warranty. I can buy the fact that the noise is 'NORMAL" for sss awd, but is that little normal noise that all the trucks make the cause of the bearings being chewed up, and the shavings? I have read all the post on this, just wanting to know the exact cause. The dealer didn't like my knowledge of the front end problems, and said not to believe this forum, but now is frustrated and said if I can find anything else out to let them know so they can move in the right direction. lol

Well I have a SD that makes the same noise and I have rebuilt both diffs. I also have a brand new Detroit Trutrac in the rear. I still get some noise around 15 mph. Only thing I have not replaced yet is the AWD transfer case. My truck almost has 100K on it with towing a 6000lb boat, and mild offroading to reach the family cabin in the summer. 30-40K has been suprcharged also. I would not worry about it to much, As I have not had on single reliability problem. It is just annoying, especially when you buy new and it is supposedly the GM flagship model. Now that it is paid off, it does not bug me as bad, but I would love not to hear it.

I will add a little more that I forgot. There was chunks of metal in the front diff, a ton of shavings on the magnet, and it vibrated at about 75-80, but quit when I let off the gas. I guess I will just be happy that I am getting so many new parts under warranty. I can buy the fact that the noise is 'NORMAL" for sss awd, but is that little normal noise that all the trucks make the cause of the bearings being chewed up, and the shavings? I have read all the post on this, just wanting to know the exact cause. The dealer didn't like my knowledge of the front end problems, and said not to believe this forum, but now is frustrated and said if I can find anything else out to let them know so they can move in the right direction. lol

Tell your dealer to kiss your ass because the forums are right. I did research on this web site before I purchased my used 04 ss. The driver side carrier bearing is going out. I drained the oil and chunks came out and the magnet plug was covered in metal shavings. It was so bad that when I drained the fluid I had to run a small screwdriver in the drain hole to unstop it to get the fluid out. I went with a Jaspers front diff. Sorry I don't have good news for ya but it will never go away since they don't know what the problem is. It's kind of funny they don't know but Jaspers does and they fixed the problem with a 100,000 3yr warranty. Good luck!!!

Well, my dealer called today and said they are out of ideas on the grinding, growling/metal scraping noise in the front diff. Get this!! they are going to call GM and see if they will buy me a Jasper complete front diff, and he explained to me that my warranty will be voided. I am so game for this!!! Jasper has a great warranty, and my troubles, according to Jasper, will be over. I will let you all know what happens. I must say that my Dealer has bent over backwards with me on the problem though. At least they are trying. Kudos for Randy in the service dept. at Weber chevy in Granite City Illinois

Edited by ablue04 (see edit history)

Tell your dealer to kiss your ass because the forums are right. I did research on this web site before I purchased my used 04 ss. The driver side carrier bearing is going out. I drained the oil and chunks came out and the magnet plug was covered in metal shavings. It was so bad that when I drained the fluid I had to run a small screwdriver in the drain hole to unstop it to get the fluid out. I went with a Jaspers front diff. Sorry I don't have good news for ya but it will never go away since they don't know what the problem is. It's kind of funny they don't know but Jaspers does and they fixed the problem with a 100,000 3yr warranty. Good luck!!!

Have you had any problems with the Jasper? My dealer said he is going to call GM and request that they buy me a Jasper front diff. Then explained to me that we would part ways. Meaning no more warranty on the front diff . I said thats fine with me.

Take the offer and Run!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It will be the best thing you can do. You want have any regrets. Maybe your dealer should quit and open up a HOT DOG stand. Not to many ways you can screw up a Hot Dog. :lol: