Engine temp guage

Well today me and Cody (56chevywagon) installed a 3.1 and a 160 hypertech thermostat. The pulley works great and the truck pulls much harder now. The 160 seemed to be working but then the guage started going wacko. First when we installed the stat, and started the truck the guage quickly shot up to over 220 degrees after a couple minutes of idling. Then I reved it up a couple of times and the temp went down to about 180. It stayed there for about ten minutes on a test drive and then all of the sudden it shot down to the bottom line (160) all of the sudden and stayed there. I shut the truck off and then turned it on again and it went to 185 degrees and then imediately went back to 160. On the way home it stayed at 160 and never moved. I now its a 160 degree thermostat but I thought I recalled that someone one else on here had done theres and it acually runs at about 180-185 and not 160? Any ideas about whats going on?

I'd guess the initial high temperature spike was due to air bubbles in the coolant. That should go away. The dash temp gauge is not very accurate. Mine reads around 160 on the factory gauge when its actually 180-185 (according to EFILive). When I sit in traffic and the engine heats up, it gets up to about 190 and the dash gauge will jump up to 195. So, I'd say your probably seeing normal operation of the dash gauge. If it goes over 210 and stays there, then you should be concerned.

If you want to know the accuracy of the gauge, then you'll need autotap or EFIlive. That thing I've been telling you, you need. :D The sending unit for that gauge is just behind the alternator, sticking in the side of the head, just above the spark plug wire.

Did you guys go through that initial procedure of getting the air out?

i had a problem with my temp gauge some time ago. it would just sit on the bottom line and not do anything. after running the truck for a while i would shut it down. wait a few minutes and start back up - the temp would register but as soon as i shifted out of park it would drop to bottom line again.

i went into the dealer to see what they could do. i had to set up an appointment. i guess that was enough for my baby cause she has been fine since, just started working out of the blue. only problem with the gauge cluster now is the light on the side where the trans temp is isn't working.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived