Bigger Amp Alternator

TheGeorgiaKid

not cheep but i will say i have tried the Napa and i have tried the Ohio Generators. but i just put a PowerMaster on mine and its bad A$$!!

not cheep, but i can regulate the voltage and have it set at 14.9volts. perfect for high current audio systems, as well as hi volume fuel pumps to push at their peak performance. I will say i push my truck to the extremes in just about every aspect. i dont beat it, but i overbuild things. i figure why build, or buy it twice?

check their website. if you decide to go this route i can help you install it properly, and also remember dont skimp on charging wire.

What are you pushing that you need an alternator that big? Your truck already has a 145 amp alternator....

I didn't know it already had a 145 amp. I'm glad I know now. Thanks.

The only big thing I'm running is a JL 500/1v2 amp & two JL 12" W3's. My battery was dead the other day & it had only been sitting a couple of days since I had last driven it. Red top optima less than 6 months old. I didn't leave anything on. I haven't put a capasitor on the amp yet but I'm going to. It really sucks it down when you crank it up. All the lights nearly go out & you can smell the alternator getting hot trying to keep up charging it. I thought a bigger alternator & a cap on the amp would fix that.

Edited by TheGeorgiaKid (see edit history)

not cheep but i will say i have tried the Napa and i have tried the Ohio Generators. but i just put a PowerMaster on mine and its bad A$$!!

not cheep, but i can regulate the voltage and have it set at 14.9volts. perfect for high current audio systems, as well as hi volume fuel pumps to push at their peak performance. I will say i push my truck to the extremes in just about every aspect. i dont beat it, but i overbuild things. i figure why build, or buy it twice?

check their website. if you decide to go this route i can help you install it properly, and also remember dont skimp on charging wire.

Do I need to put a bigger gauge charging wire on? Like a 4 gauge? doesn't it have about a 8 gauge now?

See my other post above to see what I'm pushing.

Do I need to put a bigger gauge charging wire on? Like a 4 gauge? doesn't it have about a 8 gauge now?

See my other post above to see what I'm pushing.

charging lead is 6 gauge at best. i would run 0 gauge. but thats just me. run at least the same size as you are running to your amp. also make sure you upgrade your grounds from the alternator to the frame rails and from alternator to the battery. If you are feeling froggy also upgrade your ground from frame to engine block. all with the same gauge wire you usse as charging leads.

as i said, over build it. you wont have to touch it again.

charging lead is 6 gauge at best. i would run 0 gauge. but thats just me. run at least the same size as you are running to your amp. also make sure you upgrade your grounds from the alternator to the frame rails and from alternator to the battery. If you are feeling froggy also upgrade your ground from frame to engine block. all with the same gauge wire you usse as charging leads.

as i said, over build it. you wont have to touch it again.

I totally agree with over building it. Do you think I need to go that far with no more stereo stuff than I'm running? The amp power cable is 4 gauge. Should I try puting a cap on the amp power cable first?

Do you have the part number for the Powermaster alternator you are using? What amp is it?

you don't need a capacitor on a system that small.

and if you arn't listening to grandcore or music with loud fast bass hits then an capacitor won't do much at all on a system of that wattage.

they are designed to hold power for a larger bass hit.

and if you have a 145 amp altenator then just save your money and let it all be.

about the battery problem...your altenator may actually be going out. have both the battery and altenator tested.

I totally agree with over building it. Do you think I need to go that far with no more stereo stuff than I'm running? The amp power cable is 4 gauge. Should I try puting a cap on the amp power cable first?

Do you have the part number for the Powermaster alternator you are using? What amp is it?

some will say a cap is dumb, others will say get one. I say a cap will help but i would start with the charging lead and ground leads first. as stated above, have your alternatory tested, also get a new battery no matter how old it is, if it was brought down once to being dead then it will do it again. some will say Optima batterie kick ass, some will vote for others, I have Optimas in my truck and they are decent and for your system they will be fine. anything bigger and i would go a different route for batteries. as for my alternator, its 300amp. i dont have the model number handy but check powermastermotorsports.com and you will for sure find one to suite your needs. once you check alternator, swap to a better battery and replace charging leads, then add that cap. but for now, save your cap money and buy a battery.

some will say a cap is dumb, others will say get one. I say a cap will help but i would start with the charging lead and ground leads first. as stated above, have your alternatory tested, also get a new battery no matter how old it is, if it was brought down once to being dead then it will do it again. some will say Optima batterie kick ass, some will vote for others, I have Optimas in my truck and they are decent and for your system they will be fine. anything bigger and i would go a different route for batteries. as for my alternator, its 300amp. i dont have the model number handy but check powermastermotorsports.com and you will for sure find one to suite your needs. once you check alternator, swap to a better battery and replace charging leads, then add that cap. but for now, save your cap money and buy a battery.

I already put a new Optima in it. The auto parts store made it good, cause it was only 6 months old. Haven't checked the alternator yet, but I will. Have there been problems with them going bad? There have been times when I smell (from in the cab) the alternator getting hot, I check under the hood & smell right at the alt & that's what it is, but after a few minutes of running it goes away. The volt gauge is showing a constant 14 volts, but when I crank it up (& I listen to alot of bass) it will drop to about 11 to 12 volts & when I turn the stereo down or off it jumps right back to 14 volts. I guess any system will do that.

I had a small system in my '57 Chevy pickup street rod for a while & it had a amp gauge, had a 100 amp alt on it, but when I cranked it up the needle on the gauge bounced with the beat of the bass.

I already put a new Optima in it. The auto parts store made it good, cause it was only 6 months old. Haven't checked the alternator yet, but I will. Have there been problems with them going bad? There have been times when I smell (from in the cab) the alternator getting hot, I check under the hood & smell right at the alt & that's what it is, but after a few minutes of running it goes away. The volt gauge is showing a constant 14 volts, but when I crank it up (& I listen to alot of bass) it will drop to about 11 to 12 volts & when I turn the stereo down or off it jumps right back to 14 volts. I guess any system will do that.

I had a small system in my '57 Chevy pickup street rod for a while & it had a amp gauge, had a 100 amp alt on it, but when I cranked it up the needle on the gauge bounced with the beat of the bass.