Looking to mod... any warnings for these products?

I wanted to get about 4K miles on my '03 Arrival Blue SS to get everything seated properly before upgrading and I'll hit 4K miles this week. Was looking at going with the following package of mods. Anyone have any bad experiences they'd like to complain about or any good experiences they'd like to rave about? I've done some forum searches and haven't seen anything discouraging with any of the below products.

Brakes:

Front: Extreme+, Alcon 6 Piston Caliper, 15 inch slotted rotors, blue painted calipers

Rear: Eradispeed - Plus - One, 14 inch slotted rotors

Induction:

Volant Induction

Exhaust:

The Other Guys Headers (Ceramic Coating)

Corsa Cat-Back Touring Edition Exhaust

Suspension:

Hotchkis Swaybars

Transmission:

Yank Truck Thruster 2600 Torque Converter

Transgo Shift Kit (HD kit with corvette servos for 1-2, 2-3 shifts)

Supercharger:

Magnusun "RADIX" Supercharger, Magnacharger

Computer Program:

Wester's Custom Tuning

Ignition:

Direct Hits Ignition (w/ NGK Iridium UR-6IX spark plugs)

Any other suggestions/advice?

Nice list. What, no cam? I'd add electric fans.

I may be wrong, but I think the direct hits thing uses it's own kind of plugs (Beru Silverstone?). If you didn't go with it and just went with NGK plugs, you would not need the "UR" plug. The URs are short reach plugs. I use them, but my heads have been ported out to the max limit and a regular style plug would not be optimum for my setup. You could use the TR-6IX.

I tried the direct hits as one of my first mods. I am no longer running them because they require at least 3 wires with angled boots on the plug end - and my MSD wires are all straight boots. I'd say just a plugs/wires upgrade would be good.

With all those mods, you need to think carefully about the tuning. If you want to get a professional tune (such as Westers, Nelson, PCMFORLESS, etc.), you should make sure that the tuner will take all your mods into account. Also, some tuners out there offer free upgrades to the tune if you change your mods in the future...

:cheers:

Wow, very nice list. You are going with the exact same exhast setup as I am. Im switching to the corsa exhaust and im putting the Other Guys Headers on there also. If you want you can wait to order them and Ill tell you how I like the combination. Ill have them on the truck by saturday.

The 6 pistons are nice, but I don't think they are really needed. The 4 piston set-up should work just fine, and save you a little money for the rest of the list.

Deffinetly upgrade your brake lines, pads (of course), and fluid as part of this upgrade! :thumbs:

Wow, very nice list.  You are going with the exact same exhast setup as I am.  Im switching to the corsa exhaust and im putting the Other Guys Headers on there also.  If you want you can wait to order them and Ill tell you how I like the combination.  Ill have them on the truck by saturday.

My wife's only requirements were "it better not be too loud when we visit my parents" :lol: This is why I was thinking about going for the Corsa Touring and not the Sport. Rumor has it that it isn't much different but just more low key until you really put the hammer down. :thumbs: Thanks for the feedback and I'll be looking forward to hearing about your experience this Saturday!

I tried the direct hits as one of my first mods. I am no longer running them because they require at least 3 wires with angled boots on the plug end - and my MSD wires are all straight boots. I'd say just a plugs/wires upgrade would be good.

With all those mods, you need to think carefully about the tuning. If you want to get a professional tune (such as Westers, Nelson, PCMFORLESS, etc.), you should make sure that the tuner will take all your mods into account. Also, some tuners out there offer free upgrades to the tune if you change your mods in the future...

Thanks for the feedback. TByrne indicated that Westers has a pretty detailed questionaire sheet and puts together a comprehensive program for it based on all your mods. Was thinking about just sticking with handheld for the SC (ordering anyway which buys you a warranty) but with the other mods I better go with a full custom tune. Anyone prefer one over the other in regards to Nelson, PCMFORLESS, Westers, etc.?

Nice list. What, no cam? I'd add electric fans.

I may be wrong, but I think the direct hits thing uses it's own kind of plugs (Beru Silverstone?). If you didn't go with it and just went with NGK plugs, you would not need the "UR" plug. The URs are short reach plugs. I use them, but my heads have been ported out to the max limit and a regular style plug would not be optimum for my setup. You could use the TR-6IX.

I'm scrapping the direct hits and going with upgraded wires and ngk plugs based on everyone's feedback. Thanks for the tips! And, yes, users ct2003ss and ssct03 are one in the same. Dumbass forgot his password at some point I guess. :oops:

I tried the direct hits as one of my first mods.  I am no longer running them because they require at least 3 wires with angled boots on the plug end - and my MSD wires are all straight boots.  I'd say just a plugs/wires upgrade would be good.

With all those mods, you need to think carefully about the tuning.  If you want to get a professional tune (such as Westers, Nelson, PCMFORLESS, etc.), you should make sure that the tuner will take all your mods into account.  Also, some tuners out there offer free upgrades to the tune if you change your mods in the future... 

Thanks for the feedback. TByrne indicated that Westers has a pretty detailed questionaire sheet and puts together a comprehensive program for it based on all your mods. Was thinking about just sticking with handheld for the SC (ordering anyway which buys you a warranty) but with the other mods I better go with a full custom tune. Anyone prefer one over the other in regards to Nelson, PCMFORLESS, Westers, etc.?

Definitely check into the custom tuners. My guy is great!! *Last time I typed his name I got in trouble, but you can look on my profile* What you should do before you decide is call these guys and ask them what they can do for you. When it comes to modifying a 40k dollar vehicle on something that is as touchy as a computer program you should consider who is going to provide the best service, and tech support!! Just my 2 cents!!!

JOSH

Archived