For Those Of You In The 11's

W2W402

My truck is in the performance shop being built as we speak trying to break into the 10's. I was quoted for a 6pt rollcage and am floored.

For those of you running mid to low 11's are you even running rollcages or is it only a rule at most tracks in Michigan. I would like to do things like top Speed events at Maxton and the Texas Mile on airport runways, but in order to be legal I am being told I have to have a 6pt cage with door bars.

I started this new little project whan wanting to install new Corbeau racing seats. It quickly turned into a full 6pt race cage.

Anyone? How much?

I was quoted 4k painted, padded, harnessed, and new seats mounts installed with seats installed (corbeau doesn't make seat mounting brackets for our trucks so one needs to be fabbed up)

Edited by W2W402 (see edit history)

There are some very fast trucks here, but I don't think any are running a cage. Someone correct me if I am wrong, you need a cage for anything 10.99 and lower right? Or is it 11.50 and lower?

A roll bar is required in any convertible running 13.49 seconds or quicker in the quarter mile, and in other cars beginning at 11.49. The roll bar is accepted in vehicles running as quick as 10.00 second e.t., provided the stock firewall and floorboard is intact, other than for installation of wheel tubs. The rollbar must be constructed of minimum 1 ¾ inch o.d. x .118 inch wall mild steel tubing, or 1 ¾ x .083 chrome moly tubing, and must conform to the following diagram:

rollbar.gif

If the floor and/or firewall has been modified, then a full roll cage is required beginning at a 10.99 e.t. A full roll cage is required in any vehicle running 9.99 seconds or quicker, and any vehicle running 135 mph or faster (regardless of e.t.). The roll cage must be constructed of minimum 1 5/8 o.d.x .118 mild steel tubing, or 1 5/8 x .083 chrome moly tubing, and must conform to the following diagram:

rollcage.gif

The roll cage of any vehicle running 9.99 or quicker, or 135 mph or faster, must also be certified by NHRA every 3 years, and have a serialized sticker affixed prior to participation.

Thanks for the reply guys I might have not made it clear enough what I was asking for.

I know lots of guys here who are running quicker than 11.49 and are not running bars of any kind...i.e Chase, blackySS13, even you Krambo, you were real close beofore your new set up. Are you planning on running one after your new setup is done? If not how are you getting away with it?

Also, If I can I would like to just run some kind of bar in the back to be able to mount my harness to...any ideas without having a cage built?

I know kirk roll cages has some but again, by the time I have it built, shiped, and installed I'm right where I was.

i am not yet, i may in the future. i was told to watch it on one of my runs but on the 11.1 i thought i was getting 86ed for sure. they werent paying attention to my truck but instead watching the local racer in the other lane so i got overlooked.

im sure when i break into the 10's ill be required to do so and i probably will , but i may do some sneaky stuff to still make the truck functional.

are all these rules for people racing or everybody who runs at the tracks? I ask because I never wear a helmet or anything at the track I go to but I don't race. I just make my runs on test/tune nights and I thought once you hit the 13's you had to wear a helmet.

are all these rules for people racing or everybody who runs at the tracks? I ask because I never wear a helmet or anything at the track I go to but I don't race. I just make my runs on test/tune nights and I thought once you hit the 13's you had to wear a helmet.

Rules are there for those running at the track..if your making passses they apply to you..If your getting around a rule its because they are letting you. Or it also depends on if its a NHRA track or not too I believe.

Heres a quick story for you.

A year ago I showed up at a Test and Tune with my R1 Racebike. Obviously its all numbered up and with race plastics- Its a full on Roadrace bike. No lights nothin , I race it in open superbike and Formula Ultra.

So, the tech guy asks me if I am going to" run in the 9's". I say I don't know. He Says" you better not run in the 9's". Now keep in mind I am in full race leathers, helmet and all the gear that allows me to roadrace. He says again 'dont let me catch you in the 9's"

So I ask him why? He says you gotta have a NHRA liscense to run in the 9's. So I tell him I have 3 different roadracing liscenses, Washington, Oregon, and California. He says it doesn't matter gotta be NHRA.

So, I say "you mean to tell me that I can wick it up to 170 before entering the first turn and tip in in there surrounded by 40 other guys, but I can't go in a straight line up to 140?" He just shook his finger at me and told me not to do it.

So I ran Low 10's all day..... :jester:

i will have to get a cage also which im dredding paying for...until i get it there are a couple of independently owned tracks i can go run at that have really loose tech

and the Texas Mile only required a 4pt bolt in cage and a fire extinguisher

Edited by mean05 (see edit history)

Rules are there for those running at the track..if your making passses they apply to you..If your getting around a rule its because they are letting you. Or it also depends on if its a NHRA track or not too I believe.
Alot of it does depend on the track and event. Most test & tune nights, like when we go to the Denton track, aren't as picky as if it is at a sponsored event. Technically the helmet is 14.99 or quicker, I think. And yes, You dip into the 9s it's NHRA license time.

Alot of it does depend on the track and event. Most test & tune nights, like when we go to the Denton track, aren't as picky as if it is at a sponsored event. Technically the helmet is 14.99 or quicker, I think. And yes, You dip into the 9s it's NHRA license time.

At Ennis a helmet is required for 13.99 and quicker a cage at 11.49 and quicker..I think Denton only requires a helmet at 7.99 or maybe its 8.50 and wuicker i cant remember

At Ennis a helmet is required for 13.99 and quicker a cage at 11.49 and quicker..I think Denton only requires a helmet at 7.99 or maybe its 8.50 and wuicker i cant remember

i have never had to wear a helmet at any track except for Ennis...I think they enforce it a little more when you run slicks though

If you want to Run Maxton you'll need a cage.

All cars in competition must be equipped with a roll

bar or roll cage structure. All open cars must have a

full roll cage. All closed cars over 175-mph and

non-metallic bodied cars entered in classes with

records or minimums over 150-mph must have a full

cage. All deviations to roll structure rules MUST be

submitted to the Contest Board 45-days prior to the

event for approval.

Low carbon (mild) steel tubing is recommended for the

construction of all types of roll bars and cage type

structures. Threaded pipe, pipe fitting, lapweld pipe,

magnesium or aluminium are not permitted. All bolts

must be 3/8" minimum diameter and at least grade 5.

All bolted structures must have at least two bolts (180

degrees apart) through support pads and roll structure

brace connections.

On unitized construction and monocoque cars, the roll

structure and brace must have 6mm (1/4") thick

support pads on the top and bottom of the floor (or sill

in a sandwich construction) and must be of sufficient

area to support an impact load equal to the weight of

the car. For cars weighing less than 1100Kg (2500

pounds), these pads must have a perimeter of at least

450mm (ie 100 by 125mm) (18"ie., 4" x 5") and cars

over 1100Kg (2500lb) must have at least 550mm (ie.

125mm x 150mm) (22" perimeter (ie., 5" x 6")).

It is preferred that these pads have a corner radius of

about 10mm to avoid punch through in an accident.

Minimum requirements for roll bars and roll bar braces

are 1-3/4" outside diameter round steel tubing with a

minimum 0.120" nominal wall thickness. All roll bars

must come within 150mm (6") of the rear or side of the

driver's head extending in height above the driver's

helmet with the driver in normal driving position. Roll

bars must be adequately supported, cross-braced and

gusseted to prevent forward or lateral collapse. Braces

shall intersect with the roll bar at a point not more than

5" from the top of the roll bar. On singly-braced roll

bars, 3mm (1/8") minimum thickness steel gussets are

required at both the top of the bar and frame anchor