Converter Lock Up

stroked out

hey guys,

2004 ss silverado, I just really started HP tuners pro (had it for a while been to busy to use it). Just wanted to know how to raise the WOT converter lock up...for some reason my tuner put it at 85 which to me makes no sense.

Well, I am assuming you are talking about 3rd gear WOT lock-up correct?

Follow this path --->HPTuners - Transmission - Auto TCC - Apply / Release Speed Normal - Normal

In the first column on that final table (Apply / Release Speed Normal) you will see the gear and either "Apply" or "Release". At the top of that table you willl see throttle position in percent (%) ranging from zero to 100. Obviously 100% is full throttle (WOT).

Now all the inputs to this table are in MPH of when you want the converter to lock or unlock. When messing with this table over stock, make sure that on any corresponding gear, your release MPH inputs are LOWER than your apply MPH inputs at all times.

O.K. if you want your converter to NOT LOCK at all in WOT, highlight all the 100% APPLY cells and enter a MPH that your truck will never attain (such as 200). Now your converter will not lock in any WOT (100% TPS) situation. Since some times there is human error when going in WOT (letting up on the throttle a hair) I also make sure my 2 earlier columns have the same value (i.e. The 87.5, 93.75 and 100% columns for all of the "2nd, 3rd 4th apply" rows should be 200). The max MPH the table will accept is 256MPH so if it makes you feel better, you can enter that number instead of 200 however lets be serious, are you ever gonna see 200MPH?

Now since that is clear as mud, you can have your converter lock at any MPH you wish at WOT just by entering in your desired MPH lock point. I will suggest NOT to lock you converter at the same moment as your shift or hold a locked converter through a shift as this places alot of stress on your input shaft...and lets be honest, you are not making 300HP last time I checked :jester:

If you want to change the converter lock-up only when you engage your tow/haul button, do all of the same entries however make them to the "performance" table instead of the "normal" table. Another tip is not to set the lock/unlock lock points (MPH) close to common cruising speeds eg. 55, 65 etc. otherwise it will annoy the hell out of you especially when driving in hilly areas wher your TPS range will sweep over your lock MPH setpoints. Your converter will lock and unlock like crazy. Also, locking your converter too low will cause strain on it as the converter has to slip to compensate for the difference in output shaft speed vs engine RPM at any given gear.

Edited by Krambo (see edit history)

Well, I am assuming you are talking about 3rd gear WOT lock-up correct?

Follow this path --->HPTuners - Transmission - Auto TCC - Apply / Release Speed Normal - Normal

In the first column on that final table (Apply / Release Speed Normal) you will see the gear and either "Apply" or "Release". At the top of that table you willl see throttle position in percent (%) ranging from zero to 100. Obviously 100% is full throttle (WOT).

Now all the inputs to this table are in MPH of when you want the converter to lock or unlock. When messing with this table over stock, make sure that on any corresponding gear, your release MPH inputs are LOWER than your apply MPH inputs at all times.

O.K. if you want your converter to NOT LOCK at all in WOT, highlight all the 100% APPLY cells and enter a MPH that your truck will never attain (such as 200). Now your converter will not lock in any WOT (100% TPS) situation. Since some times there is human error when going in WOT (letting up on the throttle a hair) I also make sure my 2 earlier columns have the same value (i.e. The 87.5, 93.75 and 100% columns for all of the "2nd, 3rd 4th apply" rows should be 200). The max MPH the table will accept is 256MPH so if it makes you feel better, you can enter that number instead of 200 however lets be serious, are you ever gonna see 200MPH?

Now since that is clear as mud, you can have your converter lock at any MPH you wish at WOT just by entering in your desired MPH lock point. I will suggest NOT to lock you converter at the same moment as your shift or hold a locked converter through a shift as this places alot of stress on your input shaft...and lets be honest, you are not making 300HP last time I checked :jester:

If you want to change the converter lock-up only when you engage your tow/haul button, do all of the same entries however make them to the "performance" table instead of the "normal" table. Another tip is not to set the lock/unlock lock points (MPH) close to common cruising speeds eg. 55, 65 etc. otherwise it will annoy the hell out of you especially when driving in hilly areas wher your TPS range will sweep over your lock MPH setpoints. Your converter will lock and unlock like crazy. Also, locking your converter too low will cause strain on it as the converter has to slip to compensate for the difference in output shaft speed vs engine RPM at any given gear.

:unsure:

what... he said..

• 10 months later...

Now since that is clear as mud, you can have your converter lock at any MPH you wish at WOT just by entering in your desired MPH lock point. I will suggest NOT to lock you converter at the same moment as your shift or hold a locked converter through a shift as this places alot of stress on your input shaft...and lets be honest, you are not making 300HP last time I checked

yours,

zyra

Simulation pret immobilier

Look at his sig, something tells me he is making alot more then 300HP, not sure what that may be. :dunno:

I am not sure but something smell like :bs::spam: with the new guy. Sorry if I am wrong but why does his sig have a link to some french home buying/selling crap :dunno:

Edited by SSplaytoy (see edit history)

Now since that is clear as mud, you can have your converter lock at any MPH you wish at WOT just by entering in your desired MPH lock point. I will suggest NOT to lock you converter at the same moment as your shift or hold a locked converter through a shift as this places alot of stress on your input shaft...and lets be honest, you are not making 300HP last time I checked

yours,

zyra

Simulation pret immobilier

:spam: .. LOL... He just copied Kevins reply.... :rollin:

I have been racing the truck for a while now with probably 100+ 1/4 mile races and did not realize my TCC was locking. :omg: Looking at my tune it looks like it locks at 78 MPH at WOT. I felt it lug a little at high speeds on the street.

Here is what my settings look like. Tell me if my TCC is locking or not?

TCCLockUp.jpg

I have been racing the truck for a while now with probably 100+ 1/4 mile races and did not realize my TCC was locking. :omg: Looking at my tune it looks like it locks at 78 MPH at WOT. I felt it lug a little at high speeds on the street.

Here is what my settings look like. Tell me if my TCC is locking or not?

TCCLockUp.jpg

Yeah Jaime your converter is commanded to lock up in 3rd gear WOT based on your tune