Fixed The Front End Growl Noise

so yesterday my buddy and i did a little shade tree mechanics in his drive way. Now 2 weeks ago I replaced sway arm bushings and sway arm links. This weekend was the big weekend to fix that "growling" noise that I have had for a while now. So I went to my see my father at NAPA and got inner outer tie rods wheel bearing pitman and idler arm. I got it all for the just in case factor. Well the left side went together nicely as far as tie rods but a different story for the right side. So my buddy is taking off the tie rod when his hand slipped and hit the cv joint and it moved. Not good. Come to find out it was the two bearing that go into the differential housing were toast.. So after tracking those parts down and getting the fluid it was time to take it apart. Well we ran out of day light and started bright and early this morning (while I was nursing a hangover) and got it back together. No more noise and and surprisingly no metal chunks of any kind in the drain pan. Never changed the fluid and the truck has 91K on it.. So I got new tie rods and new wheel bearing went on.. Next week other wheel bearing pitman arm and idler arm.. But its nice and quite now. :cheers:

The only question I have for you guys is my steering wheel is slightly turned to the left while driving.. The truck tracks AWSOME down the road nice and straight. but the wheel leans a little to the left. Any thoughts...

The only question I have for you guys is my steering wheel is slightly turned to the left while driving.. The truck tracks AWSOME down the road nice and straight. but the wheel leans a little to the left. Any thoughts...

Sounds like the toe is a little off after doing the tie rods. Sounds like its time for an alignment. :cheers:

Glad to hear you got rid of the noise. How hard was it to do the diff bearings?

Its time consuming but not to bad cost me like 50 bucks.. You need a slide hammer and a pilot bearing tool. And 2 quarts of gear oil. i used royal purple. Its royally expensive

sounds good anyone do a write up on replacing those bearings? id like to do it now that i have all this time on my hands

You have the growling noise???

you need a alignment, i don't care how careful you where. you can never get it right

:withstupid: It doesn't matter how much you measure and count turns or threads on the tie rods, it is always going to need to be put on a rack there is just no way of doing a perfect alignment without. you may have had everything right, but even if the steering wheel gets turned while you are doing it or anything then it is going to be off.

Its time consuming but not to bad cost me like 50 bucks.. You need a slide hammer and a pilot bearing tool. And 2 quarts of gear oil. i used royal purple. Its royally expensive

You have the growling noise???

oh yea, just did a wheel bearing and it took care of some of the noise and the 70mph DEATH SHAKE but i still have noise so i figure its the diff

sounds good anyone do a write up on replacing those bearings? id like to do it now that i have all this time on my hands

I would love to see a write up on how to replace these bearings as well, my truck makes the same growling noise, and I do not want to pay some mechanic to do it. Sounds like it isn't too hard, but I would like a little guidance before I go tearing it apart and realize I don't have the right parts or tools.

• 2 weeks later...

I could help you out no problem

also check your brakes i didn't and now I need brakes

Did you replace the wheel bearing assembly or something else? I'd also like to know for future reference. It seems like all the SS's eventually get the growling noise at one point? Let us know. Got any pics Thanks

yeah the wheel bearing and the diff bearings

Edited by Sick03ss (see edit history)

i have a set of Baers for the front and steel lines i haven't installed so that's no problem. i'm sure the wheel bearings could be done and the carrier bearings do need replacement. how is the job and do you have a place to do it? i was estimated at $700+ for the bearings. more if the pinion needs to go. does napa carry those parts?