Transmission Overheating!

I just put in a new trans, converter and have a TruCool Max cooler, flushed all lines and filled with Royal Purple ATF. Got it all together and took it for a test drive and the damn thing got up to 250* or so (hot enough for the TRANSMISSION HOT to pop up on the DIC) It only ran for like a minute that hot, luckily I was heading back home from my 10 mile or so test drive. I let it cool overnight and went out this morning and checked the fluid level cold, then started it up and checked it hot. It shows its full. I took it for another short drive and it got hot so I immediately brought it back to the house before it got stupid hot again. I checked the trans lines and trans cooler and they are cold! When I flushed the lines i ran 2 cans fo Dr. Tranny Cooler Cleaner through the entire system then ran a quart and a half of Royal Purple ATF through the lines with a siphon pump. Another piece of info that might help diagnose this is that the last trans I bought from the same company that this one is from took like 10 Quarts of ATF to fill, but this one only took 8. That being said I can't imagine that the lines or the cooler is plugged up. SO WHAT IS MY PROBLEM? This sucks cuz this truck is supposed to be towing my Vette and some of my belongings when I move to Savannah, GA next week! HELP! :confused:

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any chance there's a kink in one of the lines where you can't see it?

Edit: Do you have an Aeroforce gauge? That gets its info thru the OBD port, and would give you a true reading, rather than depending on the dash gauge.

Edited by Hankg42 (see edit history)

:withstupid: check to make sure that your transmission cooler lines aren't sitting on or are close to your headers......

But he said the lines are cold. If the lines were too close, and the fluid is flowing, they'd be hot. Cold sounds like a blockage, kinked line, or bad reading altogether on the gauge.

Are you using the cold weather bypass for the TruCool max? What pan came with the transmission and is the filter a stock filter?

Also, does the transmission temp skyrocket when you sit in park oor N? ...or only when moving?

Edited by Krambo (see edit history)

It is a factory gauge and I had the entire instrument cluster replaced like 6 months ago. I disconnected and independently flushed the cooler and also the radiator and I am doing some more testing now. It seems to only skyrocket only when driving. Initially it was fine sitting there running in neutral. Also the "in" line and "in" side of the cooler are getting hot now. More to follow... And many thanks for the suggestions. :cheers:

Oh and I do not have a bypass cooler.

Further testing went as such: Idled in PARK for 20 minutes+ and Xmsn temp stayed around 115-120*, engine temps normal, Outside temp=76*. I then took it for a leisurely cruise through the neighborhood (lots of stop and go) and drove for about 10 minutes and no more than 2 miles and it worked its way up to 250* by the time i pulled back into the driveway. I kept it running in PARK and turned on my heater (to keep the E-fans on) and watched the temp gauge drop down to 190* within 10 minutes. I checked all the lines and they are away from any heat sources and like I mentioned earlier the "In" line and "In" side of the trans cooler are HOT! I flushed the hell out of the both the cooler and radiator with LubeGuard and there was good flow through both.

?????????????? I don't get it, I pulled the line off at the trans cooler "out" and started the truck. That sucker is pumping good. Topped off the trans with fluid then drove around for over 30 minutes and it never went over 220*. I brought it back to the house, pulled the line off again and let about a quart and a half of fluid pump out of the cooler and it looked nasty. I topped off the trans again, took it for a drive and it got up to about 275* within 10 minutes. I verified that the trans was actually hot with a infrared temp gauge, the bellmouth was 225*. Tomorrow my trans guy is having me test the trans line pressures with a test gauge. DOES ANYONE HAVE THE LINE PRESSURES? He is researching them also tonite but I hoped someone on here had them, especially if the have the SS specific values. He speculates there is an internal problem with my BRAND NEW transmission. Thanks in advance. This sucks.

if they used the deep pan and not the correct pick up it could be unable to suck up the fluid???

That is what I was getting at...in a round about way. :uhoh:

You are burning up your transmission and IMO, you have already done damage. There is something wrong internally and it needs to be dropped and opened up. Before that, I would drop the pan and inspect all that you can.

Tranny problems suck.

It's going to have to go back to the transmission builder under warranty. Either you have a totally failed converter (doubt it) or you have cross-channel leaks inside the transmission. I doubt that the lines are the issue, and I assume you have the TCMax plumbed in series with the factory air/water cooler in the radiator. You are not complaining of bang shifting, so that would rule out the EPC valve, my guess is a TCC failure of some kind or bad seals in the input shaft (causes cross-leaks). Any way you but it, the trans has to come out. My 2-cents anyway.

If the fluiid was nasty as you describe, you can assume the nice new friction materials are probably junk and need replacing. The issue could also be wrong clearances in clutch stackup too.

Mr. P.