Transmission Overheating!

yeah id say its cooked. i am on my 3rd tranny and when mine went they all had a few thousands miles on them and they didnt even look that bad. i have a 10 inch TC and built tranny with a small cooler. And mine has never came close to your temps. I have a front mount turbo and they build tons of heat and if ive been out runing it hard it has only got up too 180 and then it cool right back down. so i hope they take of you and id get my money back a find another builder.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well this sucks. I worked all weekend on this thing. I swapped in the new TC, flushed the HELL out of the system again, verified trans line pressures (which came out good and steady) and topped off the fluid. I drove it all day and the temp never went over 165-170. I am going to drive it to Louisville tomorrow to have Automotion tune the trans with HP Tuners software again. I guess I just have to hope it gets me to Savannah at least and if it goes out there again I am going to ask them for my money back. A buddy of mine (who happens to be a trans builder bought my factory trans when it went out) has completely rebuilt it with Heavy Duty everything including a Corvette servo and told me its mine for $1000. So Im thinking pretty hard about buying that one as a back up. :mad:

Well this sucks. I worked all weekend on this thing. I swapped in the new TC, flushed the HELL out of the system again, verified trans line pressures (which came out good and steady) and topped off the fluid. I drove it all day and the temp never went over 165-170. I am going to drive it to Louisville tomorrow to have Automotion tune the trans with HP Tuners software again. I guess I just have to hope it gets me to Savannah at least and if it goes out there again I am going to ask them for my money back. A buddy of mine (who happens to be a trans builder bought my factory trans when it went out) has completely rebuilt it with Heavy Duty everything including a Corvette servo and told me its mine for $1000. So Im thinking pretty hard about buying that one as a back up. :mad:

well i hope everything works out for you. i hope you make it safe and all goes well. keep us updated.

Thanks, and I'll be sure to keep everyone updated. Cuz its a large company that Im dealing with on this transmission fiasco, so good on them if it does, if not I'll make it my lifes work to inform everyone of how I got screwed. :cool:

Well, to follow up, I drove the truck to Louisville (3 hours one way) and Automotion tuned the trans again for the new 2600 stall converter. I have absolutely no overheating issues now. The thing launches hard and shifts quick. My tuner said when I stomped the pedal it flashed at 3380 rpm. I am actually liking the way this converters daily driveability manners are over the 3200 I had in there before. The true test will be Saturday on the 9 hour drive to Savannah with my Vette on a trailer behind it. So far so good...

• 2 weeks later...

It made it to Savannah with the Vette on a trailer and both packed with my stuff (just shy of 11,000 lbs total weight). Normal temps and the truck is still shiftin hard and holding good. Whew! What a long road that was! Thanks again to all for the help/advice. Now Im waiting on my 180 amp chrome alternator and 80mm BBK throttle body to get here. :chevy:

• 4 months later...

I drive the truck everyday and beat on it like it owes me money! It has been great, no overheating and still shifting hard. I have no complaints at all. So good on Monster for upholding their warranty and helping me out when the first one failed.

• 4 weeks later...

ATTENTION! ATTENTION! ATTENTION! My MonsterMotorsports trans went out again yesterday! They said I was out of my 90-day warranty (Which I thought was a 1-year) and basically told me the only thing they could offer me was another trans at a reduced price. I pretty much have to say NO THANKS! They told me that the first one they got back from me failed because I shredded the 5 pin planetary. This trans failure is the 3-4 clutch pack went out Im pretty sure. 1st, 2nd and reverse are fine but 3rd and 4th slip to the point the truck barely keeps moving. I am making 500 horsepower AT BEST, so how a trans that is built for 650hp/600tq fails after 8 months is beyond me. I am now weighing my options as far as rebuild versus a new trans. If I get a local shop (in Savannah, GA) to rebuild it I want a damn good warranty on their work and a serious 3-4 clutch pack! What 3-4 clutch packs are out there that are bullet proof? HELP!! :banghead:

I just got off the phone with him, and he said he still had it. He mentioned something about removing the check ball capsule in the input shaft to allow harder lock-up and re-tearing it down to install some new steel/friction plate 3-4 clutch packs so he was confident it would hold up my power. He told me $1200 plus shipping but he is in Colorado until next Tuesday and he also is trying to find out what the brand is that makes these new 3-4 clutch packs he has recently ran across. Any tranny savvy guys out there know what brand of super bad-ass 3-4 clutch packs he was talking about? I am also still trying to find out what local shops can do for me.

I have a local shop that will remove, rebuild and reinstall trans for $1500. He said he will replace all bands and clutches (Commercial 8 disc clutch pack/Raybestos Blue Racer/Kevlar bands) and give me a One Year Unlimited mile warranty. He said he will check and adjust all line pressures and make lock-up stiffer. How does this sound to you guys? Do these parts sound like they will hold up? :confused: