Did McGaughy's spindles today

rico750sxi

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The stance and measurements are exactly the way they were before I did it. For those that don't know, I had lowered mine by cranking the torsion bars down. Before I did the spindles I cranked it back up. My fenderlip to ground measurement with the torsion bar drop was 34" even the day of the spindle install. I cranked it back up to 35.5" then did the install. After the spindle install I was at 33.75" so I cranked it back up to 34" even again. I always loved the way my truck sat at 34", the only reason I did the spindles was to return the ride to stock. I never liked the way mine drove with the torsion bars turned down.

By the way, alignment is friday morning so I will update everyone then.

Hey look at that, I'm an ELITE now!!!!! :thumbs:

Sorry for the late reply Chris.

Yeah that was mine sitting there all by itself. I try to keep it a ways away from other people so they aren't laying out a nice dent pattern in my door. Yeah, when I finally do get those spindles I will give it a shot.

Are you haveing any problems that Jrock did with the bump stops in the back, or don't you know yet since there aren't many miles on the kit yet??

Later man. :seeya:

I know that I didnt have any problems with the bumpstops, I took the stands off the frame and just mounted them to the frame. I have not noticed bottoming out once since the install, almost 1000 miles right now. I only did the rear shackles though, didnt want to go any lower then that in the rear.

I have no problems in back because my rear setup is the same as it's always been. I'm just using the 2" shackles only. To me it seems like the hangers and shackles are too much and drop the rear end too low. This kit is a kit for all 4WD 1/2 tons and they come with a block between the springs and axle. Our SS' don't have that so I think the total of 4" with the hangers and shackles is too much.

I had my alignment done today, all is right again with the front wheels. I haven't driven it much but it seems good up to the 65mph max. I reached today. I measured all the way around the truck and had 33.5" in front and 35.25" in the back. I raised the front up to 34" even now. I'll get pictures as soon as it's clean again. The truck has never seen rain and it hasn't rained here in a while but yet the shop managed to find a puddle when they test drove it!!!!!! It never fails! :shakehead:

• 7 months later...

rico750sxi

Did you get any ill effects like vibrations from just installing the shackles? I figured you might get some type of vibrations because the pinion angle is affected by just dropping the front half of the axle and not the rear. I'm actually considering re-installing the stock hangers if it will not produce any ill effects and let me load my bed without it banging against the bumpstops.

Also, do you or have you carried heavy loads in your bed with the drop and did it rub against the bumpstops?

Late- Alex

so for all of you who have installed and have logged some miles on the McGaughy's kit, you feel it maintains the stock quality ride? how will 285/45/22 tires effect the ride?

i'm getting my ss soon and am worried about messing with the suspension after my tahoe's ride was f'd up with a 2/3 beltech kit. it bottoms out over any bump or dip and bounces all over the road at any speed.

doesn;t matter any more though... ss will be my new daily driver and tahoe is gettin bags

Archived