airbags on the SS?

415SS5FR

hey fellas im new around here and must say this is a really nice site. :thumbs:

i dont have a SS yet, but, i was just wondering if you could put airbags on a SS? i hear its not good to put em on 4wd trucks? is this true? if so, how do you guys drop your trucks ride height? thx alot, steven

Hey 415SS5FR,

Welcome, there has been a SS with bags on it and if you do a search you can probaly find the thread that has a picture of the truck. what makes it difficult is the front drive shaft is basically where you need to put the bag.

there are a couple other options for lowering, but i like the McGaughy's lowering kit. It has a 2" drop spindle front and a shackle and hanger for the rear. It cost $384.00. So i think it is reasonable.

good luck

It would probably be easier to put hydraulic cylinders on the front instead of bags. You would probably have to strengthen/modify the upper shock mount and strengthen the lower control arm, but it's a lot less modification than bags.

You would need to add accumulators to make it ride like bags, otherwise you'd have no suspension travel. Accumulator is a gas pressurized air spring plumbed into the hydraulic lines. This allows the hydraulic cylinder to act as an air spring. Since you would no longer have shocks, it would be a good idea to put in some kind of dampening valve so that the hydraulic cylinder also acts as a shock. I don't know where you could get something like that, but Citroen uses them in their cars.

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome aboard. I have the spindles and I love them. And trust me when I say I tried more than a few ways to lower the truck. In the rear though I only did the shackles, I didn't use the hangers. Seems like it gets too low when you use both. With jus the shackles you will need a 2 degree shim to correct the pinion angle.

I think it goes something like this,

If a modification directly causes a failure of a component, they will not warranty it. It can be repaired by them but they can charge you for it. Some of the dealers refuse to work on modded vehicles. It's up to you to arrange repairs, so yes! That sound like a voided warranty to me. But they won't come straight out and tell you that.

If you make friends with your service manager and talk real sweet, they can usually work around it. It depends on your attitude and their generous disposition!

Make sensible mods, that don't have a direct effect on major systems. That's what I'm trying to do anyway! :crazy:

GM has certain brands that approve for lowering of the car that will be covered under warranty. But if you talk to your dealer, most of them will have no problem honoring the warranty as long as it's not a hack job. You know one of the Chop everything in half and drive type deals.

• 5 weeks later...

So the front drive shafts are the reason you can't bag the SS??? Don't bags basically go where the stock shocks go? If so the bags should be able to go in the stock location. And if not, if anybody around here owns or runs a fab. shop, you could make a killing making a kit to make it work. It sure would be nice to have a 3 link in the back, riding on air, and able to drop it in the weeds for a weekend show :cool:

Ever seen how close to the shock the front drive shafts are? There's no room for bags.

There is room for a hydraulic cylinder, and with a gas accumulator, is almost like a bag that's remotely mounted. That's the way I'd go if I had a ton of $$$ to spend on a height adjustable suspension.

Archived